Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
haley45

Camellia seedling 'weed'

haley45
14 years ago

Hi everyone, I was hoping that one of you camellia gurus could help me with something. Our neighbors dropped by on Sunday to see the new flower beds that I've been working on. Well my husband started teasing me about this "weed" that was growing in one of the beds. I had noticed the weed but it didn't look like any others that I had so I hadn't pulled it because I was curious to see if was in fact a weed or a seedling of some sort. Anyways, he kept teasing, so I had to do what any good gardener would do to preserve my honor and went to pull up the weed. Well, I should have followed my instinct and not pulled it up, because when I did, it turns out that it was a camellia seedling where I had gotten some seeds from a camellia at my parents' and had pushed a couple in the dirt last fall to see if anything would happen (and figuring nothing would). Here's where I need help: when I pulled the "weed" up, the seedling had 2 sets of leaves and they pulled off, but it has a pretty good root system that is still pretty much intact as well as its stem, which I replanted. Is there any hope that my camellia seedling will make it if I baby it a little? Or is it doomed since I pulled the leaves off (I didn't know if it wouldn't be able to get energy without leaves)? Sorry for the long post, and thanks for your help!!!

Comment (1)

Sponsored
Michael Nash Design, Build & Homes
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars254 Reviews
Northern Virginia Design Build Firm | 18x Best of Houzz
More Discussions