Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
crcurrie

Is there a camellia that can do this ...

crcurrie
15 years ago

serve as screen/hedge, quick growing, dense foliage, blooms that won't get frost-bitten in Washington, D.C., a little shade from large loblolly pine overhead, raised location -- irrigated but a little dry nevertheless? Bonus points for fragrance.

Am I delusional? I don't know much about camellias (having grown up in Michigan), but there is an old camellia on our property that requires no care, blooms freely although most years flowers are frost-bitten.

I live a couple miles from the U.S. National Arboretum and have heard of the Ackerman hybrids, but know next to nothing about them. I really need something that will grow reasonably quickly to replace backyard perimeter screening that disappeared when my compacta hollies got chewed up by our kids playing on a nearby playset (which they've now outgrown).

Thanks for any advice!

Chris

Comments (3)

• luis_pr
    15 years ago

Hello, Chris. My only concerns with your requirements are: 1. quick growing and 2) irrigated but a little dry nonetheless.

The Ackermand Hybrids tend to bloom early, that is, during the Fall so winter should not affect the flower buds. I do not grow them here so we should let some Zone 7ers chime in with specifics.

Most camellias are slow growers. As far as soil moisture, you will need to water more often and especially until the new plants become established (1-2 years). This should not mean a lot of watering though. It means to water again when the soil feels almost dry again to a depth of 4".

If you cannot do this, I was wondering.... how come you do not plant another set of hollies in the same area? You said that the kids have outgrown the playset sooooo....?

• User
    15 years ago

Your problem is not winter cold or partial sun conditions; camellias actually like filtered sun. As for cold, camellias should be perfectly hardly in D.C.. I grow the so-called "Kumasaka" variety--supposedly one of the hardiest (should be hardy to NJ., Long Island, and beyond on the coast). (I just today expanded my camellia collection.) Your biggest problem is dryness. I would work to really improve the soil conditions before putting the camellias into the ground. I'm just getting into camellias myself so I'm not an expert but I do know that they like moist, acid soils that are well-aerated. They are also surface rooters so a nice layer of mulch is helpful year-round for cold and heat. Into my soil (tends to be clay), I worked some gypsum, peat moss, humus, and holly tone (good for acid plants). Will probably also use the camellias as a new place to recycle my coffee grains (acidic). Once you get your plants in the ground, make sure you keep them well-watered until they get established. I am using mine to create a privacy hedge but have left the current planting (combo of privet and viburnums) in place, in order to provide some protection from western sun exposure (off a driveway). Also, camellias are at best moderate in growth rate (not fast), so this way I have some privacy and protection for the camellias before they get big enough to do the job. Good luck!

• Embothrium
    15 years ago

The camellia collection at the National Arboretum was decimated by a cold winter some years back. You might want to go look at what they have there now to see which camellias are liable to be more hardy - or what other kinds of shrubs you might be able to use instead.

Sponsored
More Discussions