Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bxlraphael

Camelia drying up (suggestions needed...)

bxlraphael
15 years ago

Hello,

I live in Belgium and have had a camelia in a pot on my patio for the last two years (belongs to my landlord so I presume it has been there for 3-4 years before that). It is in the shade most of the day, with direct sun only a few hours in the early morning. It has been healthy (except a classic yellow leaves problem at one point), until this spring.

First a small camelia I bought last spring started drying up. The leaves started to curl up and became dry. I made a post-mortem: most of the branches are dry, and the roots are brown and look partially rotten.

Then the older big camelia started having the same problem. I first thought it may be linked to lack of water, but the soil is moist. I also replaced the soil on the top, as this has helped in the past (with the yellow leaves), but it just continues to dry up.

The only major difference with previous winters is that this year it was quite severe (with colder temperatures for longer periods and more snow). On the other hand, it seems that the camelia was ok when it came out of the winter.

May it be linked to some kind of cold burn? Could it be that the roots are rotting?

I was thinking of transplanting it in a new pot (the current one is broken, and I should have done this before anyway), and in the process remove some of the roots on the outside if they are rotten. And then wait and pray.

What do you think? Any other ideas? Maybe add some fertilizer (but which one?)?

I'm getting a bit desperate...

Thanks for your help in advance!!

Comment (1)

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio
More Discussions