Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
wilson1_gw

Pearl Maxwell

wilson1
14 years ago

Hi All. Without knowing much about them, I bought two Pearl Maxwell camellias with pretty pink double blooms. I was planning on putting them next to my front door, but that spot gets very hot afternoon sun all year round. The space is also a bit tight. Will these camellias survive/thrive in such a place?

Comments (11)

• luis_pr
    14 years ago

I would choose another place. The summer sun is a scorcher than can cause a lot of damage to the leaves. It is probably fine in most area at this time of the year but, starting in late May then things change. The plant label should tell you how wide it gets; that can help decide if the location is too tight. After 10 years and assuming little pruning is done, expect somewhere around a six feet wide shrub at the least. They are very slow growers so pruning can keep them in check.

• luis_pr
    14 years ago

This camellia is not recommended for Zone 7. I assume your are going to grow it in pots?

• wilson1
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Oh, I didn't know that. Can you tell me anything else about it?
    I bought it locally - I had assumed that if it was sold locally it would be appropriate for this area. I think I may return it.

• luis_pr
    14 years ago

It produces some awesome pink formal double blooms (that is what "that look" is called). I had a chance to buy it at a local retailer once but declined, changed my mind and then could not buy it because they were sold out. It tends to grow upright and looks very nice in pictures.

• jay_7bsc
    14 years ago

Dear wilson1,
    If you want a good, cold-hardy, compact pink formal double camellia that is suitable to a restricted growing space, consider planting 'Jacks.' It's a slow-growing variety that should take a number of years to grow out of bounds at the front of your house. 'Jacks' is available from Camellia Forest Nursery in Chapel Hill. Check out their Website for further information. Camellia Forest Nursery has also introduced a fall-blooming formal double pink camellia called 'October Affair' that you might want to consider. Of course, they have many other varieties suitable to outdoor cultivation in Zone 7.

• wilson1
    Original Author
    14 years ago

What would happen if I did plant them in the ground? Do you think they would do poorly because of cold in Zone 7 (almost 8)? Your last post makes me want to keep them! They are certainly beautiful and I wish I could make them thrive.

• wilson1
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks, Jay. I live not too far from Camellia Forest (too wise too late) and I think if I return these, I will go there and see if there is something suitable for my spot. I am more concerned about the hot summer sun they will get all afternoon long. Are there any camellias that can take intense afternoon sun?

• luis_pr
    14 years ago

Not really. They originate from rainy areas in eastern and southern Asia where they grow under other trees. Intense afternoon sun will cause the leaves to sunburn. If you want to try, I suggest planting the shrub in a pot so you can easily move it to another location if you detect damage to the leaves. This type of damage will probably occur later in mid summer, say June or July?...

• jay_7bsc
    14 years ago

luis pr, _Camellia Nomenclature_ indicates that 'Pearl Maxwell' is a midseason to late flowering camellia. Why do you say it's not suitable to Zone 7b, where midseason to late bloomers generally perform well?

I would not recommend growing camellias in pots outdoors for a significant span of time because such culture exposes their root systems to a greater degree of winter cold than they experience when planted in the ground. There also may be enough humidity in this part of the Southeast to prevent leaf burn of camellias that are planted in full-sun locations.

• wilson1
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I have returned the two Pearl Maxwells (with great regret) because I am afraid of them not doing well in my location. My next step will be to go to Camellia Forest and see if they can recommend something for my area of hot afternoon sun. I will ask them about Jacks, too. I would like something that stays covered in blooms for a long period. The Pearl Maxwells were beautiful and it was hard to give them up...

• GreenfingerGene
    11 years ago

I stopped in at Lowes in High Point today and the store had a bunch of Camellia 'Jacks' for sale in bloom and the flower was absolutely gorgeous. Thinking of making a hedge with this plant.

Sponsored
More Discussions