Return to the Camellia Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Is there somthing wrong with my Camellias?

Posted by LMA84 SC (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 15, 13 at 20:08

I am completely new to gardening and have a question about my camellias. We moved into a new house in the upstate of SC (zone 7) last summer and there are two large camellia bushes in front of the house. They started blooming beautiful pink flowers about a month and a half ago. I was researching the flowers and learned that I can cut them and arrange them in my house...but when ever I try to touch the flowers, the petals just fall off, or the flower falls off the stem very easily. I went through the bushes today to clean up the fallen and dead petals and realized that there are only 3 blooms left. Is there something wrong with my camellia plant? is this the end of the season for blooms? Is there something I can do to make the blooms stronger for next season? Any advice is definitely appreciated!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Is there somthing wrong with my Camellias?

I think you are fine. This is getting late in the blooming season for my zone and probably yours as well. During the last week, I saw the last bloom of a Kanjiro and the week before that was the last blooms of a White by the Gate & a Debutante. Late bloomers in Zone 6 will probably be blooming there now though.

I do not measure how long blooms have been open but maybe 1-2 weeks per bloom? Temperatures that go up/down a lot or periods of moisture followed by dry soil can also cause bud drop, where the buds fall unopened. The blooms will stay open for a while but not as long as they would in a hydrangea for example, so I would expect them to eventually fall. So evenly moist, well mulched soil will help and so will temperaures that do not wildly fluctuate (but you have no control about that of course). Try to maintain 3-4" of mulch up to the drip line.

Make a note in a wall calendar that gives you an idea of when the plant bloomed on prior years so you get a feel of how it is doing. Do not be surprised if it blooms ealier or later in some years though. I just had all camellias here start blooming very late compared to prior years. Well timed cold snaps by Mother Nature appear to be the cause of my late bloomage.

Luis

This post was edited by luis_pr on Tue, Apr 16, 13 at 12:02

o
RE: Is there somthing wrong with my Camellias?

Thank you!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Camellia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here