Return to the Camellia Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help identify mother-in-law's camellias please

Posted by stuckinthedirt 6b VA (Shenandoah Va (My Page) on
Fri, Apr 2, 10 at 23:40

These camellias are growing at my mother-in-law's. She loves camellias but doesn't know the name of them. These photos were all taken on April 1st, near Charlotte, NC.

Thanks!

Here is a link that might be useful: Link to camellia photos

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help identify mother-in-law's camellias please

Cam #3 appears to my eye to be Lady van Sittart (or, at least, what is sold in Northern Virginia as "Lady van Sittart".

o

Oops. Meant to add that Cam # 1 reminds me of Bella Rosa and Cams 7&8 resemble Pink Perfection. Hope that helps.

o

Thanks for the input.

o

Cam #3 reminds me of April Dawn and Eleanor McCown. My EM sported a lot (pink blooms) until the dogs and the squirrels had a spat.

o

I think the "Camellia No.2" is Camellia Japonica Blood of China. You can see the picture of my "Blood of China."

There are many beautiful camellias as the No. 1 Camellia. Red, formal or double form incomplete (some stamens can be seen when the flower is fully open). You can see the picture of "Mathotianas." and "Bella Rosa".
Flower size No.1?. Flowering time camellia N 1?

The photos are misleading. You can see the two pictures of "Mary Phoebe Taylor" and "Coquettina." In the pictures you can not see that one is 15 cm. (6 inches) and the other is 5-6 cm. (2 inches).
Some flowers are so unique, that are easy to identify.
Only with photographs, many camellia flowers are difficult to identify. Even seeing them on the ground, it is very difficult. There are many flowers same or similar. Therefore, it is good, indicating the size, timing of flowering and growth habit of the plant. The leaves also help to identify. Greetings.

Blood of China

Mathotianas

Bella Rosa (Nuccios)

Mary Phoebe Taylor

Coquettina

Here is a link that might be useful: Bella Otero Camellia Show 2010

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Camellia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here