Return to the Camellia Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Natural fertilizer and camelias

Posted by JMMedeiros z9USA,CALIFORNI (My Page) on
Wed, May 18, 05 at 5:00

I would like to know if I can use manures to fertilize camelias. Does anybody know if chiken manure is ok to fertilize camelias? Or other types of manures? I know camelias like acid soils. When I planted my camelias I determined the acidity of the soil locations with a meter. The soil was very little acetic. So I bought sulfur granules and I mixed with the planting mix. Also I planted one inch above level of ground as recommended by nursery man.The plants are watered regularly and look ok.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Natural fertilizer and camelias

The use of aged or composted animals manures is great idea for camellias. Chicken manure will work well for you, just be sure that it is not 'fresh'.

o

I hope I haven't read your post wrong, JMMadeiros, but did you analize or have your soil analized and found it to be "naturally" quite acidic???? If so, why would you add sulfur , which if added to an already acidic soil, might turn it possibly a bit too acidic? Even acid loving plants must have some limits as to how acid they like their soil. Normally, if a soii is too acid for plants loving sweet soils, or those nearly neutral in pH, a gardener would add lime of dolomitic limestone to sweeten them, but if a soil is acid and you want it acid, you'd add sulfur only if it's just not acid enough. And for plants that like soil a bit on the alkaline side you might add extra limestone. Perhaps you needed your soil just a bit more acid than it already was , so you added the sulfur? Sulfur is naturally acidic!! In general I tend to think of acid lovers, as those plants liking pH's of 5-5.5 to 6.5, but really 6.5 is considered only slightly acid. On the other hand a pH below 5 might be much too acid for some acid loving plants, but I don't know their acid "limits" on the lower end of the acid scale!!

o

I understood him to say that his soil was 'very little acidic', or not acid.

o

Try some "Milorganite" which is organic and does well on camellias.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Camellia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here