Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
njcbrand

Need 3 camellias, one for each season...

njcbrand
18 years ago

Hi! I'm new to camellias, but after browsing this forum have decided I want to put three in a raised garden against a 12-foot tall privacy fence in shaded back yard. I'd love to have a pink, a striped, and a red: one that blooms in spring, one in fall, and one in winter. Basically, I want blooms all through the cold seasons. If I have to plant five to get this, fine (the fence is really long). They'll get mid-day sun for a few hours when the leaves aren't on the trees, and then dappled shade all through summer. What are some good varieties that will grow well together? I've found a local nursery that has 5-foot tall ones for $30, so plan on buying that size. Also, any suggestions for spacing them and for dirt mixture for raised garden (I haven't constructed it yet). Thanks so much--my grandmother had gorgeous camellias and am looking forward to introducing my hubby to their beauty!

Comments (8)

• njcbrand
    Original Author
    18 years ago

So I started building the raised bed by piling all the ground-up leaves from the backyard into a huge pile to form the bottom layer. I'm planning on putting a mixture of compost, native sand/clayish soil, and topsoil on top of the ground-up leaves to plant the camellias in...does this sound good? I hope they like leaf mulch, since azaleas do I assumed camellias would, too. Once they're planted, do they like hardwood mulch or leaf mulch? Thanks,
    Nancy

• livinez
    18 years ago

Kumasaka is a hardy pink japonica for early spring, very popular.
    Blood of China is a vigorous red jap. blooms late (early to mid May)

Long Island Pink is a hardy pink sasanqua that blooms in Fall.

Yuletide is a red sas. blooms winter, but I don't see it blooming outside in winter in virginia.

Same soil as for rhododendrons and azaleas is fine.

They can't stand cold wind in winter, and get leaf burn in full sun, although some will grow quite well in full sun, sheltered from wind.
    Try these links:
    http://www.camellias-acs.com/culture/hardy.html
    http://www.roslynnursery.com/

Ronny's nursery in Delaware has a good selection of large camellias in spring and fall, good price.

• Arl_Tom
    18 years ago

Hi Nancy,

My recommendations are-

Bette Sette - a beautiful pink formal double with glossy dark green leaves. I posted a picture of it on Apr 9 in the gallery section, and it's still blooming! (There are just one or two flowers left.) I'm from the South, so I never realized how important bud hardiness is. It's fine if the plant is hardy to zone 7a, but if the flower buds can't take the cold, then you might as well grow a holly. This past Winter was pretty mild, but almost all of the Bette Sette buds made it, while her two neighbors lost at least half of their buds.

Winter's Fire - This is a hardy Ackerman hybrid. It is a vivid dark pink single Fall bloomer. It has large leaves that almost resemble a japonica, but I believe it is a sasanqua X oleifera hybrid. Seems to like more shade than most sasanquas.

Roslyn Nursery (mentioned earlier) has both of these, last time I checked. I have ordered from them before and was satisfied with the quality of the plants. Hope this helps...

~Tom

Here is a link that might be useful: Monrovia Nursery picture of Bette Sette

• njcbrand
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Sounds great! Anyone else have any suggestions for continuous cold-season camellia color? :)

• taxonomist
    18 years ago

For njcbrand on Camellias; have you tried the Little Five Azalea nursery here in Richmond? They usually seem to have the very best selection of japonica, sasanqua, and hybrids in this area. On top of that, their prices compare favorably with Lowes. I buy almost all shrubs from this unique outlet.
    Good Luck!

• davidcf
    18 years ago

When I lived in Norfolk/Virginia Beach as a kid, 'Mathotiana', 'Pearl Maxwell', 'Rosea Superba', and 'Blood of China' were good early March to early April blooming japonicas for me. Camellias were great performers in my coastal part of Virginia, as long as you selected med/late to late blooming varieties. In Richmond, I think you'll have good years and bad years for blooms.

• njcbrand
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Actually, after writing down these suggestions, I did indeed go to Little Five Azalea farm and bought a giant Mansize --4 feet tall for $30-- and two one-gallon sasanquas, one is a buttons n bows, the other I don't remember right now (left the tag beside the plant, though, so can find out). They really had a huge selection...I might go back and get a Kumasaka, but we're having such a drought right now I want to wait so I don't have to water yet another plant! Thanks for the suggestions and helpful websites...:) Nancy

• laurie_bray
    18 years ago

I've made a website with a camellia nomenclature. It could help you. It's difficult to give an advice, it's depends of the size, the color and the form of the flower.

You can search if you want.

Sponsored
Bowers Design Build
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars35 Reviews
Fairfax County Design Build Firm Family Owned since 1990
More Discussions