Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
birdinthepalm

Is there a specific camellia mite???

birdinthepalm
18 years ago

I've often had problems with spider mites on various indoor plants over the years, and am quite familiar with the "telltale" symptoms of mite infestation, but last year found a very odd mite type insect, though mostly just the symptoms , since I couldn't really see them without a magnifying glass. They were just on the camellias, but unlike spider mites , which usually prefer the undersides of most plant leaves, the mites were all on the tops surfaces of the leaves. There were many little tiny little dots showing on the leaves, and the leaves were stickly to the touch from the sap comming from the leaves. Then the leaves turned quite brown, but regardless , didn't fall off quickly. I've found that camellia leaves can be very tough regardless of serious insect damage . Anyway it just made for some ugly leaves. Generally, I can see regular spider mites with my naked eye , but the ones mentioned were much smaller and hard to see. Back to the question; is there a specific mite that prefers camellias or could it be someting else???

Comments (6)

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    18 years ago

Why, yes! You are one super observant person. There is a group of mite-like creatures called the Eriophyids. There are several main genera, and one that attacks Camellias! They are, indeed, very very small.

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:509771}}

• birdinthepalm
    Original Author
    18 years ago

I've had several other camellias before and never had the mite problem , but after ordering two new ones , it didn't show up til winter, when they were indoors. Is there a specific treatment to rid my camellias of them, or are they as stubborn as spider mites can be?? I just hand washed the leaves and that was a temporary fix, but once they came back it seemed the leaves could be covered with them in a week, since they seemed to multiply so fast. Thank you so much for the answer. My next problem is finding a good naturally acidic fertilizer, as all the commercial potting mixes seem to be hard to adjust for acid pH. I know that some mixes do include limestone as an effort to ensure a more neutral pH , but they don't think about people , who have acid loving plants. There are plenty of acid looving tropicals as were as hardy perennials, but even the commercial pH adjusting chemicals don't seem to do the job for me. I do have somewhat alkaline tap water , and I'm sure that doesn't help either. I wonder if there are some commercial on-line or mailorder acid mixes specially formulated for azaleas, rhoddies, and camellias etc????

• jenny_in_se_pa
    18 years ago

Birdinthepalm - I sprinkle some Hollytone on my potted baby. It is all-natural fertilizer (contains manure, cottonseed meal, alfalfa, green sand, etc) and contains elemental sulfur to help acidify. As an alternate, you could make some peat tea and water the soil mix with that and fertilize with whatever floats your boat.

I potted mine in straight Promix (their regular potting mix that comes in a 2.2 cuft compressed bale), which I do know is pH-adjusted to 6.5. However with the Hollytone in there, my baby is literally starting to bloom right now. Sure it's the wrong time of the year (it's a C. sasanqua 'Cleopatra' that I got last September at the local horiticultural society Member's Day plant divide), but who cares? LOL I kept it inside during winter and put it outside last month in dappled sun to get some fresh air and for the summer.

I'll probably post a picture later when the blossom is fully opened. The little plant was a 12" cutting that is now about 14" tall.

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    18 years ago

I, too, really like Hollytone. It's organic-based, low nitrogen blend is a very good one for almost all plants.

• SilverD77
    18 years ago

My Camellia tree has bravely survived through these mites the last 2 to 3 years but sadly the main trunk lost its leaves and has gave up the ghost. It still has new growth coming up from the base so there may still be hope... I have been told that these mites dwell more on the plants that do not get a good washing when it rains such as mine planted near the house and more shielded than out in the yard and the best treatment would probably be a good soapy formula to suffocate the little buggers, but haven't found a real successful solution. Anyone else found a great treatment for ridding of these mites?

Sponsored
Ed Ball Landscape Architecture
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars30 Reviews
Exquisite Landscape Architecture & Design - “Best of Houzz" Winner
More Discussions