Return to the Camellia Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Hey You! Hiryu Camellia Vernalis (NOT Kanjiro)

Posted by pdez Alabama (My Page) on
Wed, May 2, 07 at 11:11

I just wanted to report that, after two failed attempts, I think I finally have found the perfect camellia for a very sunny spot -- Hiryu. It gets tons of afternoon sun and seems very happy. Also, I researched cold-hardiness and learned that Hiryu had survived some terrible freezes. We had one of those late-spring freezes last month, and despite terrible looking Japanese maples, and totally blackened needlepoint holly, Hiryu came through all smiles, with just some very minor damage to emerging new growth, and no damage to existing leaves. It looks much better than the c. sasanqua in my yard. So I'm nominating Hiryu as the hardiest of all the camellias (competing in my yard with white japonicas, mine no yuki, kanjiro, chansonette, and alabama beauty), excepting of course varieties developed specifically for cold hardiness.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Hey You! Hiryu Camellia Vernalis (NOT Kanjiro)

Let us know how it turns out and please post a photo this fall. I planted about 10 varieties in south Huntsville this past winter, all doing well. The colder climate gets blamed for a lot of problems in the northern part of the camellia state, and while some of that is deserved, I think it is overstated. We need to dispel the myths. There are some fabulous outdoor camellia collections in north Alabama.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Camellia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here