Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
meyermike_1micha

Are there any that hate full sun?

meyermike_1micha
13 years ago

I was wondering if there is any that hate to be in the full sun, even up here in New England..

I have a variegated one and it seems to only like the morning sun and late afternoon..The white yellowish portion of the leaves started to burn last month...

Thank you so much..

Mike

Comments (10)

• luis_pr
    13 years ago

Japonicas are more sensitive. Their leaves react earlier to the sun than sasanquas do up here. I also noticed a similar issue with a variegated hydrangea and its non-variegated one in my previous home. They were planted side by side and the variegated one had to be transplanted because the leaves suffered from the sun more.

• longriver
    13 years ago

It is absolutely true that camellia would have sunburn under direct sunlight. In California, I have to have shade cloth for growing quite a few camellias.

However I had a 46 days tour to almost 18 places of camellia plantation in China this year where mostly the camellias were growing openly without protection. Because the native land of camellia is humid, misty, cloudy, foggy or raining. I visited a place at Sichuan Province where a million of their traditional Chinese camellias, about 100 cultivars( C japonica) were growing openly on the hills. It is considered to be the largest camellia plantation in the world. The camellias are shipped to every place in southern China for landscaping purpose.

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:509829}}

• longriver
    13 years ago

One more picture.

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:509830}}

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    13 years ago

Those pictures are incredible, longriver!

• solus
    13 years ago

longriver, amazing photos and facts, thanks for sharing!

• Carol love_the_yard (Zone 9A Jacksonville, FL)
    13 years ago

Oh yeah, my neighbor has camellias in full, all-day sun in Jacksonville, Florida. Has been there 15+ years. No mist, no clouds, no fog. Hot and humid. The camellias are huge.

• longriver
    13 years ago

Humidity might play a major function to preventing the sun burn. I also feel that moist soil helps. In California we are in dry season, the soil can be bone dry without timely watering. There are still many other factors such as very intense afternoon-sun, gentle breeze, -------.

• Dave in NoVA • N. Virginia • zone 7A
    13 years ago

I think shade (especially morning shade) is more important in winter than in summer in more Northern locations. Our summers are humid, hazy and generally good for camellias. However our winters are a bit too harsh for them and the sun makes it worse.

• yellowthumb
    13 years ago

Here at Ottawa, zone 5A, I found that Japonicas are doing much better in more sun than less. I have 5 Japonicas, I had them under a tree before, they were having 3 or 4 hours morning sun. Then I moved them into a more sunny location this year with full sun till 4pm, then full sun again from 5pm. They are growing much faster and having constant growth flushes. Last year, they had only one growth flush.

• yellowthumb
    13 years ago

I also have three Sasanquas, they are happy like a pig under all day sun. Doubled their sizes since I moved them from half day sun into all day sun location.