Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
okintos

Prof. Charles S. Sargent ?

okintos
15 years ago

One to cultivate of camellia, very known in Galicia, is the Camellia japonica 'NAZARENO'. A few fans, say that it the same to cultivate ' PROF. CHARLES S. SARGENT '. I would like to know your opinion. This one to cultivate ('NAZARENO' Syn. 'SANGRE DE PICH') blooms in spring (January to April). It is a flower of medium size (3-3.5 in). It anemone form. The colour of the flower is red very darkly. To certain distance, it seems that it has black colour. The tree has a raised growth. If some fan, knows the camellia ' Prof Charles Sargent ', I am grateful for your commentaries.

Regards.

Daniel D.F. oKintos

{{gwi:509927}}

{{gwi:509929}}

{{gwi:509931}}

{{gwi:509932}}

Here is a link that might be useful: XLIV International Camellia Show Vigo 2008

Comments (6)

• luis_pr
    15 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

I do not have PCSS but the pictures that I have resemble your plant a lot, except for the red hue in the blooms. Your reds are way darker that the dark reds I have seen. Was it the camera or the soil acidity where these pictures were taken? Luis

PS - Have you tried to contact Lorraine Fraser? She is the International Camellia Registrar at lorrie96@tpg.com.au

She may be able to help you.

• florence_2007
    15 years ago

I do have a PCSS and it, and others that I have seen are a brighter red than this one appears to be. There seems to be an excess of blue in the petals. It is beautiful and perhaps, one day, I will be able to see yours.

• luis_pr
    15 years ago

In case you happen to know Daniel, does your soil have a lot of aluminum in it?

• okintos
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Florence and Luis, thanks for your commentaries.

Is it possible that it is the excess of aluminium, which obtains red so darkly in this one flower?

The principal characteristic of the soils of Galicia is the acidity related to the humid climate. The granite and the schists with very much quartz, are the principal base of our soils. Most of these soils, they have many active forms of Aluminium. The abundance of organic matter, it is another characteristic of the soils of Galicia. Winter temperature USDA 9-10.

Other varieties of Camellia, with similar colour, the temperature influences very much. It is the case, of the "Dona Herzilla de Freitas Magalhaes ", that as it lives in placed places more in the northern part, with colder winter and spring temperature, (USDA 8-9) his colour is clearer.

Apparently, the fans of Galicia who live in USDA 8-9, and they have C. j .'Nazareno ', they say that his flowers support the red very dark one. I will continue investigating.
    Thank you very much.
    Regards.
    Daniel D. F. oKintos

{{gwi:509934}}

• florence_2007
    15 years ago

I was trying to get more information on the photo that you posted. It looks very much like C. japonica, Clivena. The partial description in the 'ICS Register' states 'Sweet, 1830, Hortus Britannicus, ed. 2, p.74. Leaves 5.4 cm wide by 8 cm. long, ovate-oblong, acuminate, serrulate, erect and dull green, buds very large, oval, obtuse, scales green: flower very large, 11 cm. across, double, cupped, sometines rose-red, ofter cherry-red, more or less brilliant according to the season. 1st row petals, 6, 3.8 cm. broad and 5 cm long concave or channelled, forming a star those at the centre tufted as in the 'Anemoniiflora' and forming an elevated and irregular heart, about 3.8 cm. across. Originated in England.
    Are we thoroughly confused yet?

• okintos
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Florence, graces for your work. The information of identification that you expose, (of C. j.'Clivena'), is very approximate. Except in the size of the flower. 'Nazarene' never reaches 9 centimeters, (3, 3.5 inch. maximum). There has come to me an e-mail of the International Camellia Society, with the direction Web, of the International Camellia Register. Now it is possible to see in the Web, the identifications of the registered Camellias. Thank you very much again.
    Regards.
    Daniel D.F. oKintos
    Camellia japonica PROFESSOR CHARLES S. SARGENT
    INTERNATIONAL CAMELLIA REGISTER

Professor Sargent. (C.japonica), Berkmans, 1908, Country Life in America, p.548: Large, of vivid dark crimson; the centre petals raised, outer petals imbricated. A remarkable anemone-form flower.

The plant is of vigorous growth and a free and early bloomer. Rubel, 1928, Azaleas and Camellias from Longview Catalogue, p.4, fig. p.5 as Prof. Sargent: One of the best of the dark varieties, a rich deep crimson. Flowers are 8 cm in diameter, globular, solid and compactly built, usually has 12 wide, slightly rumpled guard petals while inner petals are long, narrow, curled or
    126 rolled and distinctly incurved, having the appearance of an incurved chrysanthemum.
    Some of the inner petals are occasionally veined with pink or white, but this is seldom visible due to the compact formation of the flower which usually carries 220-230 petals.
    Early flowering. Fendig, 1949, American Camellia Catalogue: A tight, peony form with many petaloids; shading from rose-pink to dark red, 9-10 cm across x 5 cm deep with 12 outer petals and the centre an irregular mass of petaloids. Leaves dark green, thick, broad-elliptic, 10 cm x 5 cm, acuminate apex on a
    tall, vigorous, fast growing plant.
    Sports: Woody Estes, Professor Charles S. Sargent Variegated. The name has collected many orthographic variants including: Prof. Charles
    Sprague Sargent, Prof. Charles S. Sargent , Prof. C.S. Sargent, Prof. Charles Sargent, Professor Charles S. Sargent, Professor Chas. S. Sargent, Professor Charles Sprague Sargent, Professor C.S. Sargent.

The origin of the variety is unknown. Professor Hume believed it may
    have been imported into USA by Berkmans Nursery (later Fruitland) from Seidel Nursery, Germany, then to Magnolia Gardens where it was named by the Rev. John G. Drayton for Professor Charles Sprague Sargent, then Director of the Arnold Arboretum.

See colour photo,
    p.112, Macoboy, 1981, The Colour Dictionary of Camellias
    . Chinese synonym: Sajinte Jiaoshou.

Prof. C.S. Sargent. Fruitland Nursery Catalogue, 1933-1934. Synonym for Professor Sargent.

Prof. Charles Sargent. Paterson, 1950, SCCS., The Camellia Review, p.65. Synonym for Professor
    Sargent.
    Prof. Charles S. Sargent. Rubel, 1935, Southern Gardens and Greenhouse Culture List No.63.
    Synonym for Professor Sargent.
    Prof. Chas. S. Sargent. Fruitland Nursery Catalogue, 1938-1939, p.8. Synonym for Professor Sargent.

Professor C.S. Sargent. Hume, 1931, Azaleas and Camellias. Orthographic variant for Professor
    Sargent.
    Professor C.S. Sargent Variegated. Fendig, 1953, American Camellia Catalogue. Abbreviation for
    Professor Charles S. Sargent Variegated.
    Professor Cato. Good, 1955, American Camellia Yearbook, p.278. Abbreviation for Professor Frank
    Cato.
    Professor Charles Sargent. SCCS., 1946, Camellias, p.17. Synonym for Professor Sargent.
    Professor Charles S. Sargent. Vanderbilt, 1941, Camellia Research, II, p.6. Synonym for Professor
    Sargent.
    Professor Charles S. Sargent Variegated. (C.japonica), SCCS., 1947, The Camellia. Its Culture and
    Nomenclature as Professor Charles S. Sargent Var. A virus variegated form of Professor
    Sargent - Dark red mottled white. Originated in USA. Synonym: Red Shadow. Orthographic
    variant: Variegated Professor Sargent.
    Professor Chas. S. Sargent. Coolidge Rare Plant Garden Camellia Catalogue, 1950. Synonym for
    Professor Sargent.
    Professor Charles Sprague Sargent. Rubel, 1933, Choice Pot Grown Camellias List, No.63 as Prof.
    Charles Sprague Sargent. Synonym for Professor Sargent.

http://camellia.unipv.it/camelliadb/index.php?option=com_frontpage&Itemid=1

Here is a link that might be useful: International Camellia Register

Sponsored
Ronald J. Smith Interiors, LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Veteran Interior Designer Serving Clients in Upper Marlboro
More Discussions