Return to the Camellia Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Weird leaves on camellia

Posted by Stacette 7b (My Page) on
Mon, May 16, 05 at 13:56

I have a camellia that is 2 yrs old and it has the strangest leave. In a few places the leaves are extra think almost waxy,light green on the top and they are white on the underside. The underside almost looks like mold but nothing comes off in your hand when you rub the leaves?? What is going on? This is an unnamed cultivar.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Weird leaves on camellia

Could it be leaf gall?

o

• Posted by cckk z7 GA (My Page) on
    Mon, May 16, 05 at 19:03

This is similar to a problem I'm having with my camelias which I've been posting about this week. I just noticed today that the underside has turned white. And it's affecting a small amount of leaves.

o

i think dorie is correct. i have seen it on my camellias before but not as often as on the azaleas. it is not the same fungus, however, that attacks both plants, and can be controlled with fungicides. i usually hand-pick the galls and throw them in the garbage, not on the surrounding soil. they can mature and produce spores if you leave them in the area.

o

Attached is just one link which discusses leaf gall of Camellia. It is quite common in some years. Your good 'housekeeping' (IPM) practices now will reduce the chances of another infection next year.

Here is a link that might be useful: Camellia leaf gall

o

Good news is it not serious and won't kill the plant....but it sure is ugly.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Camellia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here