Return to the Camellia Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
pruning a camellia?

Posted by loveofmylife680 z7 al (My Page) on
Wed, May 25, 05 at 15:22

I have a pink camellia that I'm guessing is at least 20 yrs old, because the people we bought the house from lived there 50 years, it is as tall as our house at the pitch of the roof, the problem is one side is bare and I would like to prune it down so it will get full all around.It only gets morning sun, shade the rest of the hot part of the day . Does anyone have experience with doing a drastic pruning in zone seven.
thanks Jill

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: pruning a camellia?

I'm not a very experienced gardener, but I "inherited" 9 camellias with the house that are about 40 years old, and I am also in zone 7. I have pruned 6 of them as close to the ground as I can get with a pair of anvil loppers, and all have bounced back very nicely, even the ones I pruned to the ground.

I understand that the best time of year to do this is just after the plant blooms, and before it sets its new growth, so you'll probably want to wait until next year.

o

thanks for the info it wont hurt it to go ahead and prune now just no blooms next year ? Because is is not pretty the way it looks now.

o

If you don't see any buds yet in the leaf nodes, then you may be okay to prune and still get some flowering on the remaining stems including any new growth that you keep there.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Camellia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here