Return to the Camellia Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help with camellia siting

Posted by kailleanm 8 (BC) (My Page) on
Thu, May 17, 07 at 15:28

Hi,

I purchased a Camellia Japonica 'Betty Ridley' on impulse, and now I have to decide what to do with it. Camellia's are new to me.

I have read conflicting advice about best planting sites. Some say morning sun, afternoon shade. Others say no morning sun to protect frosty buds from warming too quickly, and suggest a west facing site.

Can anyone please offer advice. I have numerous places I could situate this Camellia as we are redoing the yard of our new-to-us house.

Also, what is the growth rate? I know they're slow, but how slow (in rough inches per year). Do they get wide, or mainly upright. The tag on the plant says upright habit.

Any advice most welcome.

Thanks!

Kaillean

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help with camellia siting

Hello, Kaillean. Here is a quote from the American Camellia Society:

Most camellias grow and produce better flowers in partial shade (4 hrs of sun or so). Plants located in full sun often are less dormant during warm periods of the winter and may suffer damage if cold weather follows. Plants in a northern or western exposure of a building or fence or otherwise protected from intense morning sun will usually stand more cold weather than those in an eastern or southern exposure.

Luis

Here is a link that might be useful: Growing Camellias

o
RE: Help with camellia siting

Thanks a lot Luis!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Camellia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here