Return to the Camellia Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Will this camellia survive? :(

Posted by hylarie none (My Page) on
Wed, May 15, 13 at 16:20

Hello, I'm hoping someone can help me with this and give me advice on what to do.

I live in northeast Georgia (zone 7). At my old house, my great grandmother had planted a Japanese camellia beside our porch where it has flourished for many years. We recently leased the house to a guy who took the liberty to try to get rid of the plant DESPITE our telling him NOT to change anything on the property outside of the house without permission first. He "pruned" it back to a stump about 6" high. Nothing more.

My mother is devastated. That camellia is one of the very few material possessions she has left to remind her of her grandmother...so naturally I am desperate to see if there is anything I can do to help preserve it if it is in any danger.

Will this camellia survive such a severe pruning at this time of year? Is there something I can/should do to help it? And if it survives, is there a way I can move it? My mom used to make trips to our old house just TO check on that plant...so given this recent turn of events, if the plant makes it through this drastic pruning I'd really like to transplant it here at our new house for her.

If anyone can help me with this, I would be most appreciative! Much thanks in advance!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Will this camellia survive? :(

As long as the roots are still alive & kicking and assuming they get the proper soil moisture, amendments (if any) and sunlight, it has a chance and it will be up to the shrub.

Not now, but later on, I would eventually give it a slow-release fertilizer high in nitrogen and potassium, low in phosphorus (no need to feed for blooms now). After that, I would use one high in potassium and less nitrogen. Probably stop all fertilizers about 2 months before your average date of first frost. A slow-release fertilizer (usually organic ones should last for 2-3 months per application. I would not fertilize during the winter months but I would provide some water every week or every two weeks if it is a dry winter.

An alternative: alfalfa, alfalfa tea and alfalfa meal all contain triacontanol, a natural root stimulant. You can use this to stimulate root growth that will indirectly trigger some above the ground growth.

But give it some time to recover from the shock before starting with any fertilizers. Kepp the soil moist but not wet; keep it well mulched and wait and see if it starts on its own first.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Camellia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here