Return to the Camellia Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Columnar camellia?

Posted by oceanna 7 WWA (My Page) on
Sat, May 21, 11 at 16:41

Please, which camellias grow tall, but not so wide?

At my last home I had a pale pink double flowering camellia that got maybe 8-10' tall, but was only maybe 4' wide. I never pruned it. It was a very prolific bloomer, literally covered in blooms. It looked good with its dark green foliage year round. I would love to have another like it at this house, or at least something similar.

Can you suggest any names for me please?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Columnar camellia?

I think _Camellia japonica_ 'Herme,' introduced to American horticulture in 1875, fits the columnar bill. 'Herme,' correctly spelled with no _s_ at the end, is also known as 'Hikaru-Genji,' 'Jordan's Pride,' and Souvenir d'Henri Guichard.' The several synonyms indicate the popularity of this variety in the USA and abroad. It's medium-sized flowers are a frilly semi-double shaded deep pink toward their throats, edged with a white picotee, and streaked with carmine. This variety sports heavily; and there are numerous named sports, including one called 'Herme Pink,' which, like Mommer, has a long string of synonyms. 'Herme' and all members of her sporting clan grow tall and narrow.

o

Thank you, Jay. I looked it up and it's a gorgeous flower. Says it goes 8' wide, which is pretty wide, but yes 15' tall. I'll bet that it's a total knockout when it blooms!

I'm about ready to drive down there and ask the home owners if I can take some clippings. But I don't know what I'm doing as far as propagating a camellia. Hmmmm.......

o
I decided

I finally figured out what would do the best in the area where I want this camellia. It needs to be tall, but not too wide down low. So I got a camellia TREE today. It's adorable! It blooms red in December. I'm in love.

o

Congratulations! I hope it is a variety that is a successful landscape performer in your climate zone.

o

There's a variety called 'Ashton's High Rise' developed by Dr. Ackerman if you can find it. It is very columnar.

Ashton's High Rise

o

• Posted by bboy USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA (My Page) on
    Sat, Jul 2, 11 at 0:46

In general the more erect ones you see here are Camellia x williamsii cultivars. Most are some version of candy or bright pink, possibly that is what you had before.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Camellia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here