Return to the Camellia Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Camellia for full sun

Posted by samonehopkins 7 (My Page) on
Tue, May 29, 07 at 16:59

I want to put a Camellia in a protected area of my yard (brick wall on 2 sides) but it gets full sun most of the day. I live in the DC area (zone 7). It will not be bothered by strong winds, just full sun. My mother in NC has several camellias in full sun and they do very well and it is hotter there than here. When I go to the garden centers, they tell me no camellia will do well in full sun. I do not know the name of my mother's camellia's and neither does she. Any suggestions?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Camellia for full sun

Generally speaking, most camellias grow and produce better flowers in partial shade. Plants located in full sun often are less dormant during warm periods in winter and may suffer winter injury/damage if cold weather follows the warm weather. Plants leaves in full sun may suffer from sunscald or they may appear yellow/bronze rather than deep green that camellias are known for. This does not mean that you cannot plant them in full sun. You can but they will thrive better in partly shaded conditions.

You stand a better chance of success in full sun when you live in the northern half of the country where -for example- hydrangeas can also be grown in full sun. Virginia is right on the threshold.

I suggest that you contact the Virginia Chapter of the American Camellia Society and ask them for recommended varieties (their website lists some). Their email address is info@vacamelliasociety.org and their website is http://members.cox.net/vacs

While they also recommend part shade for camellias there, I would try one of their selections in the location that you have. If you notice the leaves bronzing, the sun is too much for them so transplant it to a shadier location. If the plant does not suffer from sunscald then you now have a good specimen for that place.

Luis

Here is a link that might be useful: Virginia Chapter of the A. C. S.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Camellia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here