Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
brandyray

What is your favorite camellia?

brandyray
16 years ago

Hi, everyone, I have several camellias- 1 Bob Hope, 2 Yuletide, 1 Lady von Sittart, 1 Scented Sun and 1 tea plant- sinensis var sinensis. I'd like to plant some more but will first have to figure out another area to plant them in :) So, I am looking for your suggestions as to your favorites and what makes it your favorite. Thanks! Brandy

Comments (14)

• ezlivin1
    16 years ago

I live in Philadelphia and have a Blood of China in peak bloom on Mother's Day, with the Kurume azaleas. Every year it blooms same time, always a great show on Mother's Day, making
    this, in my opinion, a very desirable variety (and a good selling point for nurseries that carry this plant! ).

This past winter Blood of China neither lost a flower bud, nor browned a leaf, and after five years in my garden has grown from a small shrub
    to approximately six feet tall, four feet wide.

Don't know when it would bloom for your area.

• brandyray
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thank you, ezlivin. The late cold snap got my Bob Hope and it was FULL of buds! What does Blood of China look like? I'm partial to red and one of mine is white w/ red stripes. Thanks, Brandy

• luis_pr
    16 years ago

Click here or here to view some pictures.

Luis

• brandyray
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks, Luis. That's a gorgeous camellia! I'll have to see if I can find it in my area. Brandy

• longriver
    16 years ago

I like a new camellia sport cultivar called 'Jinhua's Beauty'. It has unique coloration. The new leaves are very dark in purple. The mature leaves will turn to green, still with purple tone. The new camellia plant was discovered in China. No one yet has this camellia in the U S. Please see the picture.

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:508129}}

• brandyray
    Original Author
    16 years ago

What a fascinating color, longriver. I like that one too. I got my most recent 3 from Camforest.com and since it is not too far away, I was able to go to their open house and look at the plants and make my selections. I wanted another scented one but they only had it in the larger size. I did get a baby magnolia tree (all the woods around here and not a single magnolia!). Maybe I will find another gardener to go with by the fall and go back again. Thanks for the suggestion. Brandy

• florence_2007
    16 years ago

MY FAVORITE CAMELLIA IS ANY THAT'S BLOOMING, I LOVE THEM ALL, BUT LONGRIVER IS REALLY MAKING US DROOL WITH JINHUA'S BEAUTY, ISN'T HE. WOULDN'T IT BE GREAT TO HAVE THAT ONE.

• longriver
    16 years ago

florence-2007, Likewise all camellias have their unique beauty. I do appreciate them all. For example, I have a small, very ordinary anemone camellia seedling. It also has a touch of mild fragrance. It is not good enough for registration, but I like it in my yard profoundly. See the flower, sorry no fragrance attached.

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:510087}}

• brandyray
    Original Author
    16 years ago

That bloom has a gorgeous shape and tint. Thanks for sharing it w/ us.
    I am surprised there has not been more response to this thread! Brandy

• nippersdad
    16 years ago

Hello Brandyray:
    Camellias are like Lay's potato chips...you can't eat just one. I think that the reason I didn't pop in at first was because, though I ), my favorite is always the one that is in bloom at the time! I wonder if that is the reason for the lack of response from others as well?

• brandyray
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Maybe everyone is just too busy planting new plants and watering. It's been awful dry here. I'm really partial to evergreens- especially glossy ones- camellias and magnolias and hollies. We couldn't grow those (the first 2) where I grew up, just a bit too cold, so they are exotic plants to me. It was an eye-opener to go to the camellia nursery and see striped camellias and discover some camellias were fragrant! Of course, I picked one of each... Brandy

• littlem_2007
    16 years ago

hello, longriver, i really enjoyed the pictures. the seedling that you mentionned+ how old is it? I want to start some from seed and I am wondering how long it would take to flower. thanks.

sue

• longriver
    16 years ago

Littlem: Breeding new camellia is a fun hobby. It takes 5 years to see the first flower. Then it takes additional 3 years to evaluate the flower. The fragrant seedling plant of mine ia about 9 years old. If you just want to try to grow a few camellia seeds to see the possibility to have a nice new camellia. My advice is 'Do not do it'. Because the odds to produce a very nice camellia is very low, much less than 1/100.
    I would like to see you to learn an efficient way of camellia breeding first. Otherwise you will be occupied yourself with many ' dogs' of flower for many years.
    If you can develop an very special camellia for naming eventually, the sentimental value is priceless, more than your life time.

• littlem_2007
    16 years ago

hello, longriver, thanks for the response. I know I don't have that kind of patience.

sue

Sponsored
More Discussions