Return to the Camellia Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Cold Hardy Camellia Sinensis

Posted by semaje 6a (My Page) on
Sun, May 2, 10 at 20:13

Any one have any recommendations? I want it for tea.
I saw the other thread that is pretty much the same thing as this one, but I don't know much about camellias and I didn't know if that one was about sinensis.

Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Cold Hardy Camellia Sinensis

At this moment, camellia sinensis is not offered in cold hardy varieties. It is a warm region camellia. It does well in Zone 8 and can venture its toes into some Zone 7 areas where it may suffer winter damage at times but will recover. Your best bet is to grow it in a greenhouse type of setting during the cold winter months. There are cold hardy camellias that get around this problem by blooming early (called the Winter Series because they bloom in early) or late (called the April Series because they bloom in mid-to-late Spring). This allows the plant to survive the coldest temperatures while the much tender blooms survive warmer early-late winter temperatures. Unfortunately, "the" tea camellia sinensis is not one of them yet. One can still hope.

o

Oh wow. Thanks. For some reason I thought there was a few varieties.

o

I have a few C. sinensis of varying hardiness. The hardier tyopes can take at least mid single digits. A small-leaved form sold by Camellia Forest is rated to zone 6, but I've not had a zone 6 winter since 93-94. You can get good regrowth from a Camellia by banking mulch around a plant from mid December to March.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Camellia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here