Sat, May 10, 08 at 20:27

I have 3 camellias in gallon pots that I rooted from
cuttings about 2 years ago. They are about 2 feet tall
now. When should I plant them, and what type exposure
do they do best in? Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: When to plant camellia

Hello, maeran! The soil must be well draining & slightly acidic; the plant should be located away from other trees or shrubs with shallow root systems so they all do not end up competing for water. The planting location must also provide some protection from the hot drying afternoon sun during the summer. While the best time to plant is between fall and spring, any time is fine as long as the plant is properly cared for.

Plant 1" above the surrounding soil; build a small berm around the root ball to collect water if you wish. Mulch with about 3-4" of any type of acidic mulch and water in the mornings when the soil feels dry to a depth of 4". Do not water when the soil feels moist or wet. You want to keep the soil as constantly moist as you can.... easy to say... harder to do, I know...

Fertilize with about cup of cottonseed meal or with a general purpose slow-release fertilizer (per label directions). The A.C.S. suggests fertilizing in three periods between your date of last avge frost in spring through September or monthly with cottonseed meal. You can use weak fertilizers like coffee grounds, liquid fish and liquid seaweed any time during the warm months but stop all fertilizing around August/September.

In alkaline soils, an application of garden sulphur or iron-chelated liquid products is needed at least once a year; I apply mine in the spring but you probably do not need to do this in the acidic heaven of Georgia.

Good luck with your shrubs,
Luis

Here is a link that might be useful: Planting and care of camellias by the A.C.S.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Camellia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here