Return to the Camellia Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
camellia lost leaves

Posted by dgs9r z7 Baltimore, MD (My Page) on
Fri, May 8, 09 at 20:54

Last Spring I planted a 2-3'camellia -- pink icicle, I think. Spring blooming anyway. It lost most of the leaves (except bottom and top) I seem to recall already before the winter. Nevertheless it came through the winter fine, and bloomed a few weeks ago with the prettiest pink flowers. Now it's standing there bare bellied, and I'm wondering what I can do to help it grow leaves.

In the meantime, I moved it a bit from its original location during blooming.

I've fed it hollytone, and it's been raining a lot. It's nicely mulched.

what else can I do? I think one or two of the remaining leaves are turning brown.

thanks for any help.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: camellia lost leaves

My camellia loses some of its leaves as well if a winter is severe, probably because I neglect it alot. Either way after it flowers it makes lots of new leaves on the tips of the branches. Sometimes it takes a little time and you have to just wait. If your plant flowered it should be heathly enough to make new leaves.

Good luck.

o

Sounds like this plant has been moved often enough to prevent or delay proper root establishment.

o

• Posted by dgs9r z7 Baltimore, MD (My Page) on
    Mon, May 11, 09 at 22:24

It does have leaf buds at the tips. But what about the bare stems? Should I cut it back if it will promote fullness?
thanks!

o

You can leave the dead stems, but it would look better if you cut it until you reach a live one. Mine also occasionally has a bare stem and i just let the healthy stems full up over the dead ones when they grow in the spring.

o

• Posted by dgs9r z7 Baltimore, MD (My Page) on
    Wed, May 13, 09 at 15:19

Thanks!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Camellia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here