Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nwroselady

No blooms!

nwroselady
19 years ago

I hope someone can help me. I have four camellias. Three are japonica and one is sinensis. One of the japonicas bloomed this year, and I almost missed it because it was completely swamped by a monstrous rosa roxburghii. The other two japonicas are planted in the partial shade of an apple and an alder tree, respectively. They look healthy but didn't flower in 2003 or 2004. They were in bud when I bought them as young plants in 2002. The camellia sinensis has never bloomed, and I've also had it three years. It's in more sun. The leaves are a sort of reddish color, look a little sunburned. This camellia is in more sun.

I've seen lots of gorgeous camellias here in zone 8 Pacific northwest. Large, healthy, and covered with blooms. What's wrong with mine? I can think of two possibilities. One, my soil is sandy and gravelly, and it's possible that during our dry summers the camellias under the trees aren't getting enough water. This would not be true of camellia sinensis, as it's in a border with my prize roses and has a soaker hose at it's feet. Two, I haven't been feeding them, so maybe that's a factor.

I'd really like to see your thoughts on this. Although camellias aren't my first love, it irks me that I can't get these to produce blooms.

Comments (4)

Sponsored
WhislerHome Improvement
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Franklin County's Committed Home Improvement Professionals
More Discussions