Return to the Camellia Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Camellia Magnoliaeflora

Posted by jbfoodie z10 CA (My Page) on
Fri, Jun 24, 05 at 0:12

Does anyone grow this? I am planning to purchase it soon, but I would like to know how fast it grows and how tall. How does it do in sun? I have 2 spots in which to plant camellias, one gets sun most of the day, the other gets maybe 3 hours of sun. Any ideas?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Camellia Magnoliaeflora

'Magnoliaeflora' is one of the all-time classics. It is beautiful, with pretty foliage and habit, and perfect blooms. In my experience, it grows more slowly than most japonicas, but over a lifetime (if left unpruned) it can conceivably grow to small tree-size. I know of one in our area that is 75 years old, and as large as a minivan and about 15 feet tall. It grows in full sun, near a country farmhouse, where it is totally neglected and yet is covered with blooms each year. But our weather on the gulf coast is very humid, which allows us to grow them in full sun. I don't know about your climate, whether they could handle full sun or not, check with your local camellia club, but the more sun it gets, the more vigorously it will grow, so if it can handle the sunnier spot without burning or drying out, that would be my choice. The shady spot may be safer, but it will grow much slower and less bushy.

o
RE: Camellia Magnoliaeflora

Thank you Forrest Al. I now know where I will plant it/her. Full sun it is. I have some shade cloth over the area where I plant to plant magnoliaeflora, so it won't be too much sun. I think it was your suggestion in another thread, but I plan to purchase Mine no yuki also. I will put it in the shadier spot, though it will get some pretty hot sun for a few hours. Thank you so much!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Camellia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here