Return to the Camellia Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help to save my Camellia

Posted by sara_mckinlay British Columbia (My Page) on
Thu, Jun 4, 09 at 1:11

about a year and a half ago I got a Camellia tree from my work as a condolence gift for the passing of my grandmother. I didn't want to plant it in the yard as it was something that I wanted to have for a long time and I wasn't sure how long I would be at that house. I put it in a large container. The plant did well and bloomed the first summer. The leaves have now all turned yellow with bits of brown. I'm not sure if the tree is dead but I am quite sure that is sick. I don't really know much about the plant or admittedly much about plant care on a whole but the plant means allot to me and I would really like to try and save it. I searched on the web and am considering repotting the plant and putting in better suited dirt. If any one can offer me any advise in this it would be very appreciated.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help to save my Camellia

Hello, Sarah. Potting medium should be changed every now and then (usually every three years but some people do it more often). If you detect that the roots are starting to grow in circles then you need to repot in a bigger container and with new medium.

The problem that you describe however, could just be old camellia leaves falling (think dogs and shedding time!!! LOL). This happens about every two years mostly during the months of May and June. Pine trees shed leaves like this too but they do it in the Fall.

If you live near the coast (USDA Zone 8), you might be able to grow the camellia in the ground (ask a local nursery). I saw some around Vancouver (VanDusen Botanical Gardens) a while back but they were not blooming at the time. Newer varieties can grow in USDA Zone 7.

Luis

Here is a link that might be useful: American Camellia Society's Container Info

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Camellia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here