Return to the Camellia Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Camillia drops a sticky substance

Posted by pgmty Calif. (My Page) on
Thu, Jun 23, 05 at 1:48

I have a Camillia tree in my garden, it was here when I bought the house. It produces a profusion of flowers and the leaves are in perfect shape. A large branch hung over the banister of the front steps. The banister and that edge of the steps were sticky in the extreme. Some of the stems of the tree are sticky, too.The old gold junipers under the tree are not doing very well. Does the sticky substance have herbicidal properties? Is it normal for the camillia tree to emit this substance? Is the tree sick? Has anyone experienced this? Thanks for your reply.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Camillia drops a sticky substance

• Posted by jean001 z8aPortland, OR (My Page) on
    Sun, Jun 26, 05 at 22:57

Look for critters on the camellia. The sticky stuff (honeydew) is likely from scale. Scale are good at camouflage (sp?); so look closely.

o
RE: Camillia drops a sticky substance

Whiteflies can emit a sticky substance as well as a bug called "spittle bug". I haven't seen any of these on my camellias, but I do see them on crape myrtles and on gardenias and some hollies. If you have any of these near the camellia, they can certainly spread I would assume.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Camellia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here