Return to the Camellia Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Camallias and mushrooms

Posted by Dimi1 none (My Page) on
Mon, Jun 17, 13 at 5:59

Hi
I am new to this forum and have a question in relation to a Camellia I have just planted.
The Camellia is a Japonica Red Red Rose. I have just noticed that right next to where I have planted this Camellia there are quite a few clusters of mushrooms growing. Probably about 30cm from the plant, or even less. The mushrooms were there a few weeks prior to planting but then they died. Now they have come back.
Given that you are not supposed to use mushroom compost on Camellias (which are an acid-loving plant), are they likely to harm my Camellia?
On planting I added a bit of Yates Acitone Health Tonic to the soil and also watered it with Seasol to promote root growth.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Camallias and mushrooms

It is probably ok. The problem with mushroom compost is that the recipe contains ingredients with lots of salt and these salts are too concentrated and will harm azaleas, rhododendrons and camellias. But a few mushrooms growing by themselves should be ok provided they are not indicating that the soil is being kept wet for long periods of time.

o
RE: Camallias and mushrooms

Thank you for your reply. We have actually had a fair bit of rain so maybe that has contributed to the growth. I will keep a close eye on it and provide an update in a few weeks/months.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Camellia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here