Return to the Camellia Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Discovered a Seedling

Posted by desertdance So.CA LowDesert (My Page) on
Mon, Jun 11, 12 at 9:39

In the process of renovating my late mother-in-law's home for sale, I discovered a baby camellia seedling growing under one of her fluffy pink Camellias. Of course, I had the gardener pot it up for me, and one month later, it's doing fine.

I'm happy to take something from this home to ours, even though I know seedlings don't reproduce true. She loved those camellias, and even human's don't reproduce true, so I'm loving the adventure here!

Anyone know how long it will take to see a blossom from a seedling?

Suzi

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Discovered a Seedling

Congratulations! 10 years is an approximate number.

o

Suzi, you have the right attitude about the many possibilities from your camellia. Are you going to try to find a perfect location in which to plant this little foundling?

o

That's nice. Who cares how it reproduces. It's a "VIP" no matter what, right?

o

Yes! It is a VIP! We are currently looking for a home in North San Diego county with the proper climate for this baby!

It's still in it's pot for now, and enjoyed the rain yesterday! So little, it sits in back of a potted fig and under the shady canopy of the vineyard. The shade is spotty depending on the sun, so it gets a little, but not much!

Ten years is a long time! Hope I live that long:-))

Suzi

o

During the recent heat wave, my seedling's leaf tips started turning brown. It has shown no growth since I found it back in June. I brought it in the house out of the heat, and finally, it's growth tip is growing! I plan to repot it in proper soil soon. I'd like to see a new leaf on it first!
Suzi

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Camellia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here