Return to the Camellia Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Dwarf Camellias?

Posted by medusa11365 MD7 (My Page) on
Mon, Jun 12, 06 at 9:51

Well, maybe not dwarf, but is anyone familiar with varieties that might stay under 4' tall? I did a little research on the national arboretum site and Monrovia Nursery's site, but would like some personal experiences. I love camellias but have no room at my new house for the 8-10' shrubs I had at my old house. OR, is there a way to prune the giants down to that size without making a hideous mess?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Dwarf Camellias?

I am not familiar with any dwarf camellias as most exceed your height requirements. Sasanquas would be your best choice as they are shorter than other camellia varieties. But in about 10 years, many will be about 4-5 feet high or more. Which sounds ok but...

Camellias have a life span of centuries so it is important to also figure out the plant's height at maturity and not just the 10-year height specified on plant labels.

It reminds of the problem with the Little Gem Magnolia Tree. It was originally advertised as a dwarf magnolia tree but turned out to be a slow growing magnolia tree. Every day on my way to work, I now pass this business park where they planted Little Gem's very close to the building. And they are getting awful close to the ceiling now!

But perhaps you can check up on something that I read about but have not had a chance to inquire further. It is a camellia recently introduced by Nuccio's Nurseries of California. The plant is called Slim 'N Trim and advertised as dwarf. For more info, contact Nuccio's Nurseries... Tom, Jim or Julius at (626) 794-3383. Like I said, I am not sure what that is all about yet but feel free to investigate.

Good luck,
Luis

o

I have a compact camellia for over four years and it maintains in compact shape, growing more side way. New branches never show straight upright growth. The blush white flower has highly ruffled petals, medium size. The name is Feathery Touch.

o

Try Nuccio's Nursery in Altadena California. There are several varieties of camellias that are truly dwarf. Twinkle Twinkle, Sasanqua Compacta, Baby Bear just to name a few. They are quite nice. You also may want to do a google search to find other camellia nurseries that ship.

o

You should also learn the fine art of pruning to create and maintain size and forms. Camellia respond very nicely to fine pruning. The 'dwarf' or very slow growing camellia would make this task much easier.

Investigate the possibility of pruning classes somewhere. And I mean ARTFUL pruning. Don't look to the landscaping industry for help...I've yet to meet a landscaper who really knew how to prune.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Camellia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here