Return to the Camellia Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How much to fertilize?

Posted by cynthianovak 7/8 TX (My Page) on
Thu, Jun 13, 13 at 12:40

Hi All
How much and with what do you fertilize your Camelias?

I have Sasanquas and Japonicas.
I ferilized with an organic,blend for Camelias in early spring after all were done blooming. I would like to encourage more blooms. When I bought these plants in fall 2012 they were covered in buds...more than I had on my existing plants ever. Soooo, can I fertilize again? Do any of you know what the growers use?

Thank you cynthia

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How much to fertilize?

I do not know what the wholesalers use but it may be much more than is necessary since they sell more if the shrub is loaded with flower buds.

Below is a link to the American Camellia Society's suggestions on how to fertilize. On newly planted camellias, I use cottonseed meal or composted manure. About 1/2 cup to 1 cup for a newly planted shrub. I have also used a slow-release general purpose chemical fertilizer (Osmocote 10-10-10).

Luis

Here is a link that might be useful: Camellia Fertilization

o

Thank you Luis. You are not far from me, I am in Arlington. Old Camellias are all around my old neighborhood. I am happy to learn that I can fertilize again, this is more than I have done before.
smiles cynthia

o

Cynthia, You can also buy a camellia/azalea fertilizer, formulated for acid loving plants. I used this on my plants in the begining to help get them off to a good start. My soil is pretty good and I keep lots of mulch whether it is pine straw, leaves, pine bark or a mix of this with grass clippings, So I honestly have not fertilized in two years. The growth rate is great on all my camellias. If you have unimproved sandy soil I would add as much mulch around all the shrubs to beyond the leaf line and I would use fertilizer as sandy soil leaches nutrients pretty fast but if you have reasonably good soil fertilizer just to keep them healthy. I think usually the recommended rate is three times per year, but like I said Mine seems to be totally happy they are all dark green and luxurious and have had plenty of buds every year. Hope that helped you some.
James in Florida

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Camellia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here