Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mcdonna_gw

transplanting camilla in zone 9

mcdonna
12 years ago

Hi I live in northern California outside Sacramento. I want to transplant 2 camillas that I planted in my planter near my front door and they are way too big for that space. They are about 10 years old and I do not want to kill them. How do I do this? Also right now they get morning sun but afternoon shade. I want to move them to the backyard next to the fence and let them go as big as they would like for privacy from neighbors. Any advice? I am not a gardener, if I was I would never have planted these where I did. Thanks

Comments (4)

• luis_pr
    12 years ago

I would start by evaluating the new location and see how well it matches its current location. Consider sun light (morning sun only or dappled sun), drainage, water supply, etc.

Obviously, the plant likes were it is now so duplicating the conditions should be the goal. Trying to move as much of the root ball as practical and possible should be my next aim. Get someone to help you. Prepare the new hole before you try to move the plant. I would move it during winter, when the plant is dormant and transplant shock can be reduced.

You can contact the Sacramento Camellia Society to see if any of their members lives close to you and would not mind helping out with other suggestions. See the link below.

Luis

Here is a link that might be useful: Sacramento Camellia Society

• zzackey
    12 years ago

I would trim about 1/4 of it off to help it survive transplant shock. MY hubby rescued one that was going to the dump if he didn't take it. It was dug out by a bull dozer and it survived. Just to let you know how durable this plant is!

• sergeantmajor
    12 years ago

INFORMATION: I have 20, winter-early spring blooming, camellia cuttings (3"-4" stem tip, mid-stem, and leaf) still in their outdoor, plastic tented nursery. They are 3 months in this nursery and all have 1/4" to 1/2" buds, several have grown over 1"-2" in height and several have new leaves. All are still beautifully green, even the leaf rootings.
    QUESTION(S): (1)By steps, how should I handle these babies in transferring to 1 gallon pots?
    (2) Will I need to put the newly potted plants in a hot house?
    These cuttings, if successful, will be new "Sports". Formal bloom; red with white, circular "poofs", spots if you will, not the usual stringy variegations.
    It's 27 September; I am desperate to save these babies.

• jamesmaloy
    12 years ago

Sargeantmajor, I will try to help some. I think the reason no-one has responded is. It is a double post. You really need to make a new question posted separatley. Ok If the camellias being newly rooted this summer have grown 1-2 inches.I think I would wait until spring to pot them up. Then gently separate them trying to not damage the new roots. Ease them into a good potting mix in the one gallon pots keep them watered and in a semi shady location for a few weeks so they don't get sun scalded. Then gradually put them into a brighter location. You probably will need to feed them also. I just don't think I would transplant them this late. If you do decide to transplant now or you may have already done so. I would do the same as above but do not fertilize until spring. I hope this helped some.
    James in Florida

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths
More Discussions