Return to the Camellia Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
is it dead?

Posted by amymcc 7 MD (My Page) on
Tue, Jun 13, 06 at 13:02

I planted a new camellia about 2 feet tall and promptly went on vacation. When I got back, something had dug it out of the ground. It was lying on its side, roots exposed, and all the leaves totally wilted. I put it into a bucket of water to try to revive it, but it's just gotten more wilted. If I cut it way back & replant it, is there any hope? Or is it just dead? Thanks.

Amy

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: is it dead?

Since we don't have a crystal ball, we can't help you determine if it is dead or not. Only you can judge. I wouldn't cut the top, but give the roots a bit of a trim before replanting back into soil. If there are any living roots, the pruning will help stimulate new growth (at the roots). Of course, if the top growth is DEAD rather than wilted (your word), that's a different story.

Root systems of plants are very fragile, at least that portion of the roots that absorb water and oxygen. How long your plant was out of the soil is a major factor here.

o
RE: is it dead?

I would try to replant it, as you are not out anything more. If it lives, great!! Nancy

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Camellia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here