Return to the Camellia Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Transplants

Posted by Belle423 Zone 7 TN (My Page) on
Thu, Jun 30, 05 at 13:32

Years ago I planted camelias in my backyard that are now so beautiful. When we moved from the house my daughter purchased it and now she is enjoying them. I would like to get a cutting from them and plant them at my new place. They are currently thriving beautifully in the shade of pine trees. I am assuming by that that they prefer the shade. Any advice on how to make cuttings work from them would be greatly appreciated. When I planted them, I had no idea whether they were sun or shade shrubs...just got lucky.

Thanks......belle423 in Jackson, Tennessee
downen61@charter.net

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Transplants

Yes, they do "grow on you" don't they, and become almost like a member of the family. The perfect time to take cuttings is about now, and I have provided a link below with some tips and other information. But keep in mind, it will take years to grow out the cutting to a plant of any size. I would suggest you consider making some airlayers of some of the limbs (which is like a giant cutting with roots) which takes about 6 months to form a root ball and, once cut off from the plant, will give you a decent sized plant that will usually bloom the first year. It is a much quicker way to propagate a larger plant that you have access to. Of course, the old checkbook method provides instant gratification, if you can determine the variety and a source to purchase it, but its not nearly as much fun! Good luck whatever you do, it sounds like a great plant.

Here is a link that might be useful: Camellia cuttings

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Camellia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here