Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
panthers75

Camellia dying after transplant

panthers75
13 years ago

I had a very healthy red camellia bush that was leaning badly, so I transplanted it about 6 weeks ago. I was careful to get as much of the main roots and feeders as possible, and I only moved it about a foot to get it away from a large oak tree root (the cause of the leaning, I think). So, it's still under the exact sun/shade conditions and in the same soil as it was when healthy. However, it's slowly been dropping all of its leaves and only has a few left. I've tried everything I can think of - daily watering, mulching, lightly fertilizing and even adding coffee grounds to the increase acidity - but nothing has helped. Have I lost it or should is there something else I can do? Thanks!

Comments (4)

• luis_pr
    13 years ago

It is normally called transplant shock and we can only speculate if it will recover. The older the shrubs, the more difficult it is to recover from transplants. Some leaf losss is to be expected but daily watering sounds like too much water, which can then lead to root rot.

It sounds like it isgetting to be too late for this one but keep trying. I would wait until next Spring before pulling it out. Try the basics: a little sun only (before 10-11am); 3-4" of mulch; try some very low strength root stimulator; instead of fertilizers, use liquid seaweed which is weak and can be used to feed thru the leaves; control daily watering; water only when a finger feels dry or almost dry if you insert it to a depth of 4"; whenever you replant, make sure you place it slightly above the surrounding soil; transplant when the shrub is dormant if time permits; choose a location that is not windy.

• panthers75
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks for the reply, luis_pr.

I guess I wasn't clear on the daily watering. I started that only after it started rapidly losing leaves. It was very hot and dry here around that time, but now it's raining nearly every day.

I'll give it time, try a few of the things you said and hope for the best. If it does drop the rest of the few leaves left, do you recommend that I cut it back to just the main branches coming from the roots? Or should I just leave it alone until next Spring?

• luis_pr
    13 years ago

You could prune some of the dried out wood in 2" increments until you hit green. Knowing now that it got very hot and dry a while back, it is possible that the root ball dried out. When that happens with a newly planted shrub, your best course of action is to extract the plant and dump it in a container full of water for about an hour or to use the concept of drip irrigation to water it because a dried out root ball can actually repel water. You can then water with a hose letting small drips out for an hour or two and then resume normal watering. Hint: do not forget to turn off the water!

• Janice Harrington
    8 years ago

I've transplanted 3 very large (4+M tall) camellias and only 1 survived. I don't think after transplanting you can give it too much water. To do it properly you had to dig around it, encourage more feeder roots to grow and only transplant months later. I did not do that. As I needed to hire help to move them I just moved them. I made a well around the tree and left the garden hose dripping into the well but my husband would often turn it off without my knowledge and for the ones that died they unluckily had no water during a hot day. They would regress from the hot day and just get worse. However, i find that they will regrow from the root the following spring. They were not grafted but it went from a massive tree to a twig. If i were to do it again I would cut all the leaves off the 2 that didn't survive sooner.

Sponsored
More Discussions