Return to the Camellia Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Best camillias for the coast

Posted by Sunsetsacrosswater Coastal NC (My Page) on
Fri, Jun 3, 05 at 15:54

We just moved to property on the Neuse River in coastal NC. Two camillias were growing on the property, and survived five feet of water over them during Hurricane Isabel. They don't appear to have minded a bit, and bloomed beautifully this past winter. Because they also endure a great deal of cold wind off the water all winter and still thrive, I would like to plant about a dozen more camillia bushes to act as a beautiful wind break for our house. I know nothing about camillias. Are there any specific varities which do better in these harsh conditions than others? Thanks so much for your input.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Best camillias for the coast

I live in Galicia, on the Atlantic coast. The most western point of Europe.

Here they live in gardens near the coast, big centenary Camellias.

. The Camellias resist the water and the wind.

The very dry air and the drought affect him.

To plant wind-shields on your property, you must use born Camellia of seeds.

Camellia japonica var. 'Spontanea', she is very good.

Camellia japonica var. 'Macrocarpa', she does a great leafy tree.

Camellia japonica CV. ' LADY HUME'S BLUSH ' is a very dense Camellia from the soil.

Camellia japonica CV. ' ADOLPHE AUDUSSON ' is very resitente to the cold.

Pardon for my English.
Regards.

Here is a link that might be useful: Camellia Forum Galicia(Spain)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Camellia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here