Return to the Camellia Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
small redbrown spots on leaf

Posted by marija_ant (My Page) on
Thu, Jun 8, 06 at 16:44

Can somone help me plese. I 've noticed very small redbrown spots on the leaf edge. Is that fungal disease (didn't find answer online).

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: small redbrown spots on leaf

There is picture on gallery forum. Color of leaves is normal (there isn't any depigmentation or other - normal young leaves) - gray spots are from fungicid which didn't help. There was very rainy weather during last 2 weaks and spots multiplied.

o

Hello, marija_ant. If the spots increased with humid weather, it is probably a form of leaf spot. The good news is that this fungus, on old leaves, is not going to kill your plant. But, this situation hints of a too-much-moisture problem.

Suggestions: water the soil (not the leaves) under the plant and only in the mornings; make sure there is adequate air circulation around the plant and that it does not get too much shade; keep the mulched area under the plant free from debris and other plant material.

If you have a small amount of mulch, you could replace the mulch under the plant as well to remove any spores already present there. Eventually, the leaves with the fungus will grow old and just fall down (camellia leaves last about 1.5 years).

Fungicides that are good against leaf spot fungus might help but I am not sure if I would bother doing that. After all, if I had an infected plant, I could always pick one or two leaves with the most infection and dispose of them properly. From your photo, it does not seem like a severe infestation.

Good luck,
Luis

o

What is the camellia variety? Some camellias especially hybrids like 'Fragrant Pink' and 'Cinnamon Cindy' will express nutrient deficiancy with small redish brown dots. I too thought it was a fungal leaf spot, but as soon as the nutrient levels were increased - the spots went away. I didn't treat with a fungicide. Go figure!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Camellia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here