Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sandy808

Follow Up Info On Camellia Dieback Problem And Replant Issues

sandy808
15 years ago

Luis, you are a gem for trying to help me. I spoke with Jerry Conrad at Erinon Camellias, and he said that some varieties are suseptable to dieback disease here in Florida. He will only grow and sell those that have high resistance, and I have to say , every camellia I have gotten from him is aboslutely excellent. He has the finest nursery I have ever seen. He didn't know much about Rutledge Minnix down here, but I haven't ever seen one growing in anyone else's garden. That probably says it all. The Rutledge Minnix was not purchased from him.

I didn't take a plant sample to Erinon Camellia nursery, (I didn't want to risk contaminating anyone else's stock), but I did thoroughly explain the situation to Jerry. He said it sounded exactly like dieback disease, since my roots are not spongy and mushy. I have well drained soil, so I was fairly sure I didn't have root rot, and further examination of the roots seem to rule it out. His recommendation was to remove the bush. Since I don't have evidence of root rot, he felt I can safely plant another camellia there. However, I am going to remove some of the soil and replace it with some from a "fresh" area.

Possibly, my slight pruning allowed the disease to enter this bush. It is the only bush that had a problem with it though, with the exception that it spread to the 2 next door neighbor camellias to this one. The camellias farther down the foundation planting are still clean and healthy.

I feel this camellia was coming down with the condition prior to pruning, as it had become infested with tea scale, something that I never have issue with in my yard. It was the only bush to get any. My opinion on all this is that the plant was ill, had not shown symptoms yet, but the insects knew of a weak speciman. Jerry concurred with that. Jerry Conrad has been growing camellias for years, teaches classes, and is highly respected in the camellia world. I trust what he has to say. Needless to say, I came home yesterday with 4 more beautiful camellias, and I just might have to go back for a couple more.

Sandy

Comments (5)

• luis_pr
    15 years ago

Oh my goodness. You were definitely trying to help the economy this weekend! Hee hee hee!

I tried too. I went to a nursery that was closing a store nearby, hoping to check their Monrovia camellias and hydrangeas but struck out, i.e., they were out already.

Hope you have better luck with these new shrubs!

• sandy808
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks Luis. The new camellias I got are absolutely gorgeous specimans. Actually, all of the camellias that Jerry Conrad has at his nursery are really, really nice, and every one that I have ever bought there takes off like gangbusters. He propogates them himseolf, and uses organic gardening methods. If I could have gotten a couple more in my car that day, I would have come home with them. I'll need to go back for them. You would be amazed how we got 4 ten gallon camellias in the back of a Grand Am as it is! I keep telling my husband we need to get a large van, but he's not keen on spending money on one now. We like not having a car payment. So, I guess I'll make due with the little car. It's my little workhorse.

I like to give my business to private nurseries and businesses. I rarely shop at the big chain stores anymore. Yes, I have a bad addiction to plants and all things gardening, but at least it's a healthy one, and hopefully it will help keep some of the special businesses going:) I sure have discovered some of the most wonderful private nurseries in the past couple of years.

Sandy

• tqsgardens
    15 years ago

hi, I have only been doing camellias for a few yrs, buying my first 7 from Jerry Conrad, (they are doing great and and the others from other growers , and i have now lost most (but not his) from dieback and root rot. Is there a fungicide available to gardeners locally that will work? they all have been planted the same , but this has been very discouraging. they all looked great for a yr or 2 then I fertilized as told and bang! almost all were dead or half edad, still if someone can tell me of a fungicide I can use for my healthy ones and the ones I took the infected leaves off of. thanks

• luis_pr
    15 years ago

Hello, tqsgardens. One of the causes of root rot and dieback is watering too much. Another is cuts that allow the fungus to enter the plant. C. sasanqua are more susceptible to this disease too so keep all these things in mind if you live in places where this is a problem (FL for example). The following fungicides can be used: Cleary's 3336 50W and Heritage 50W.

To make sure that you do not end with resistant fungi, it is a good idea to use two fungicides whose active ingredients are different (like 3336 and Heritage's). Apply one of the two fungicides twice per label directions and then apply the other one twice; then repeat the cycle. Observe that application intervals for these two products are different. The spray interval in the label for 3336 is 1-2 weeks and Heriate is 1-4 weeks. Always read the labels, apply on zero wind days and wear protective gear.

Luis

• sandy808
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I haven't been on the forum for awhile and just noticed the problem you are having with dieback and root rot. Jerry Conrad has indicated to me that many varieties of camellias are prone to dieback and/or don't do well in Florida. The varieties he sells are a result of his extensive research as well as his personal experience with what does well here.

It is correct that improper watering is one cause of dieback issues. However, the flip side is that some camellia varieties don't adapt well to our soil and climate conditions. I have purchased camellias from other growers who did not care for their camellias the way they should have been. Most have not done well over the long term. I now only purchase them from Jerry (all have done excellent) or from our local cammellia society raffles (that are propagated from local collections). Megily Farms in the Gainesville area also has nice camellias, but I still feel Jerry Conrad has the best.

Sandy

Sponsored
Davidson Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full-Scale General Contractor
More Discussions