Return to the Camellia Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Is it dead?

Posted by djq07 8b TX (My Page) on
Sun, Jun 5, 05 at 19:31

my neighbors had a 20-30 year old camelia removed from in front of their house and we transplanted it to our yard about two months ago. (Houston, TX) It gets more sun, but still full shade after 1:00 pm. I pruned about 25% of the branches at transplant, and have given it adequate water, but 95% of its leaves are now dead/brown/crispy! It still has a very few green leaves, and when I scratched the bark, it still has a green layer beneath. I think its a goner, but hate to toss it out if it might come back. Any ideas?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Is it dead?

Don't throw it out yet! The big ones are hard to move any time of year, and spring is the hardest. It sounds like a lot of roots were lost, which is why the wood is still green but the plant is unable to service the leaves. A camellia is pretty thrifty, and can survive awhile that way, but unless it develops some new roots, it will continue to decline. With camellias that is a slow process as camellias are slow growers. I would suggest using liquid root stimulator periodically and keep the plant well watered all summer, water it deeply every few days, and don't let it dry out. Also mist the leaves as often as you can to help them stay alive while the roots regenerate. You won't know for awhile if it will make it, but as long as the wood is green, it is still viable. Hang in there. A mature camellia is well worth trying to save.

o

If the leaves are brown, it's because over-feeding or watering during the sun is shinig on the leaves.

Watering is essential, but not too much.

Be patient and wait.

o

It is better to build a temporary shelter to keep the plant in over 80% shade. It should not be in full sun even for short hours.
The plant should be under intensive care. Very fine mist the branches twice daily, but not too much water.

Hopely, new leave buds will be merging later.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Camellia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here