Return to the Camellia Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Please help! My Camelia tree is dying!

Posted by sugard 9 (My Page) on
Sat, Jun 4, 05 at 20:23

I have a camelia tree that is about 8 feet tall. It didn't bloom at all this year, and the leaves started to droop. So I have been watering it well, gave it some food, cut off dead leaves and branches, but it just keep looking worse and worse. Should I cut it back? Some leaves have a little brown tinge to them. The leaves are kind of "curled". Please help, I LOVE this tree!!!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Please help! My Camelia tree is dying!

If you've been watering and it didn't help the leaf droop then something could be wrong with the roots - either root rot or something perhaps girdled the main trunk and/or dug under and/or chewed the roots . You might want to check down near the ground to see if anything was chewed... maybe consider getting some cuttings just in case. Alternately, if anything was sprayed in the area (herbicide, pesticide, etc), it could be getting impacted by that.

A picture might help to see better what is happening and you could also send a branch to your County Extension office to better diagnose the problem.

o

Yes to what Jenny said...do some detective work. Here's a fact sheet that will help as well. Some extension services still make house visits, so that might be worth a call. Taking a cutting someplace is probably not going to help. A diagnostician needs to see the whole plant and planting site. The symptoms you describe could be caused by many different factors.

Here is a link that might be useful: Camellia problem fact sheet

o

Besides pest problem at root area or possible tiny spider mite under leaves, there are two common situations:

The plant must be in the ground. Is the area very wet most time? Wet root and over water can promote root rot. I have seen in wet field of camellia plantation in Sichuan, China. They dig trenches at either side for drainage.

Too much sun and poor soil can also cause problem. Even you water the plant but the root gets little water. Prolonged condition would cause the root branches of deterioation and poor plant.

With all the common sense, I think you can fix the problem.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Camellia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here