Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
florence_2007

'Lorillardi' camellia

florence_2007
9 years ago

Hello folks, I am looking for info on the camellia 'Lorillardi' and 'Leucantha'. I would appreciate any info you might have for an article for the International Camellia society yearbook. Thanks

Comments (5)

• theoriginaldawgone
    9 years ago

Never heard of that one

If it's not in the Camellia Nomenclature , it probably doesn't exist-@ least under that name officially , and its not listed in there

• Vicissitudezz
    9 years ago

Camellia japonica 'Lorillardii' is listed at the Camellia Web Register, but I have no personal experience with it, and don't know more than what is listed there:

C. japonica 'Lorillardii' Michael Floy & Son Nursery Catalogue, 1832, p.55: Crimson and scarlet. Very fine. Orthographic error: 'Lorrillardii'. Originated in USA.

The entry for 'Leucantha' says that it's a synonym for 'Lorillardii'.

The Diary of Michael Floy, Jr. (ed. by Richard Brooks) may not yield any info on 'Lorillardii', but sounds like an interesting read for anyone interested in a social history of NYC in the 19th century...

Here is a link that might be useful: Web Camellia Register

• florence_2007
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks vmr423, I have located the info that you offered. Found nothing in google when I searched the 'Diary of..........' but, as you said, it would make for good reading. I am interested in the US pre-1900 introductions and those not registered which Lorillardi is a subject of. I would so love to locate that seeming wonderful camellia. I am collecting scions for planting that camellia with the rest of the pre-1900 collection at the LSU Burden Center in Baton ROuge. Are there any of the pre-1900's in your area, which is where? Thank you.

• florence_2007
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks vmr423, I have located the info that you offered. Found nothing in google when I searched the 'Diary of..........' but, as you said, it would make for good reading. I am interested in the US pre-1900 introductions and those not registered which Lorillardi is a subject of. I would so love to locate that seeming wonderful camellia. I am collecting scions for planting that camellia with the rest of the pre-1900 collection at the LSU Burden Center in Baton ROuge. Are there any of the pre-1900's in your area, which is where? Thank you.

• Vicissitudezz
    9 years ago

florence-2007, the diary was published by Yale in 1941- if you think you might like to read it, your best bet is to try your local library- since it's somewhat scarce, you'll probably need to request an Inter-library Loan. See link below...

I'm in Charleston, SC, so yes, we've got a few old camellias around. I do see a listing for 'Leucantha' under the Magnolia Gardens inventory, but it is simply a listing with no description. Since you are working with the Burden Center, you might want to find out who their contact is for the Great American Gardens Alliance... both the Burden Center and Magnolia Gardens are members of the alliance, and I would suppose that there ought to be some mechanism for sharing historical camellias amongst member gardens, yes?

http://greatamericangardensalliance.org/Gardens.htm

Good luck,
    Virginia

Here is a link that might be useful: WorldCat link to 'Diary of Michael Floy Jr'