Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
yellowthumb

Which Camellia is best for indoor container growing

yellowthumb
15 years ago

Hi All,

I am having two Camellia Japonica indoors for about three years, they are doing OK. Each fall, they will set buds, but never open the buds fully, always wilted and fall off. And it takes forever for the buds to open. I tried all kinds of advices on camellia indoors, but not too much luck, I guess I am just living far too north, the indoor air is too dry and warm during the winter and early spring which Camellia hates during the dormancy.

What do you guys think about Camellia sasanqua indoors? I know it's more compact, flower earlier and more free flowering. Most of them are single flower form, do you think they are better off to handle indoor care than Camellia Japonica in the north?

Thanks

YT

Comments (3)

• luis_pr
    15 years ago

Camellias can be grown inside year-around but they are going to be difficult creatures because you have to simulate their natural habitat environment (outdoors) in the house. And that, as many of us learn, can be difficult.

You have to provide several hours of sunlight, adequate humidity and cool nights. Think of conservatories and greenhouses where they are also grown and you get the idea. If you are successful then -add insult to injury- you also have the eventual problem of heigth. Even though plant size will be somewhat under control due to the use of a container, at some point the plant may get quite tall and require pruning as it gets close to the height of your ceiling. I wish I would have that problem, though.

Until you identify the exact problem that causes your current plants not to bloom well, I would not try another one, even if it is a sasanqua.

Possible areas of research regarding the bloom problem: not enough sunlight, inadequate humity levels, inside pests (spider mites for example), switching the plant in/out.

To clarify the last item, if your plant starts to grow the blooms while it is located inside the house then you could loose the blooms if you bring the shrub outside and the temperatures fluctuate a lot or often (the buds are not acclimated to the outside environment and are more sensitive to cold temps).

To help reach adequate humidity levels inside the home, consider installing a dial hygrometer to measure the relative humidity in the room. Measure the amount of sunlight/temperatures that the plant gets throughout the year in their current location by writing them down in a log or a wall calendar. And look out for pests during the bud forming time of the year (now).

• yellowthumb
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks for the answer.
    I think I know what they need in the winter, but I just can't give it to them. My room is too warm and they took forever to open their bud in my unheated garage, even the bud opens, the flower looks pathetic.
    I heard that Sasanqua is fall flowering, I am thinking if I leave the Camellia outside long enough, maybe they can flower for me outside.

• luis_pr
    15 years ago

Yes they are but choose an early flowering variety. There are some late flowering ones that bloom as late as November and December. Consider Mine-No-Yuki, Hana Jiman, Dwarf Shishigashira among others. Nuccio's Nursery in California carries many early flowering sasanquas.

Sponsored
More Discussions