Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
novice_gardner

Hardy Camellia

novice_gardner
18 years ago

We moved to Zone 6 last year from Zone 8. I would very much like to plant hardy Camellias. Does anyone have any suggestions about it. After googling I did find some ideas but I want someone who has grown it in this zone(or below) to give some ideas/insight.

Thanks

Ajay

Comments (7)

• stressbaby
    18 years ago

I'm no expert on Camellias, I can only share my experience in zone 5b/6a.

First year, fall planted 3 'Snow Flurry' in part shade, planted in almost a mound of soil:peat with plenty of leaf mold top dressing, and wrapped in microfoam...I lost 2 1/2 of 3 plants...they just dried up...the foam tents shed all the winter precipitation off and away from the root zones that had not had time to establish very well.

Next spring, replanted the two that died completely, pruned back the 1/2 plant that lived...nice bloom...left off the microfoam and the plants all came through the winter OK.

The 1 plant of the three that's really thriving is the one completely under the oaks, surrounded by a yew hedge (ie, more protection).

Doing it over again, I would:
    1) spring plant
    2) choose an Ackerman hybrid or another hardy type
    3) choose a site with as much natural winter protection as possible
    4) maybe skip the microfoam

SB

• jenny_in_se_pa
    18 years ago

Ajay - where are you in PA?

• novice_gardner
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Jenny,

I am in Yardley (Bucks County, SE PA).

Ajay

• pontesmanny
    18 years ago

You may want to post in the New Jersey forum as well as I know of someone in Burlington County that has several camellias. I have 9 camellias, 6 that have made it through this past winter just fine; the other 3 were planted this Spring. I do not bother with any protection although I live in a wooded lot (mostly deciduous). All my camellias are the more hardy varieties. I have heard of problems in this zone with using microfoam

• ermazi
    18 years ago

On the view of the plant itself, the Ackerman hybrid are
    hardy enough to Z6a/b provided their root are established,
    so spring planting is a good suggestion since it give enough
    time for root systems.

However, they MAY NOT flowering well, the winter comes too
    fast so that a lot of buds are dameged before they open.
    There are a few Ackerman hybrid in BBG, you can see a lot
    of dried buds on the Ackerman hybrid camellia trees. I do
    not know how to solve this problem, any suggestion from
    any friend/expert?

• steve_nj
    18 years ago

I regularly have flowers on hardier japonicas and sasanquas; most are away from the house. There should be sasanquas in my garden close to blooming on plant swap/garden visit day (October 1st, 2005).

Here is a link that might be useful: Plant swap/garden visit/potluck

• tasintuck
    13 years ago

I have gotten hardy camellias from 3 sources, Wayside Gardens (Ice Angels), Logee's Greenhouses, and Camellia Forest. The first two have zone 6b plants. Camforest has also zone 6a plants, which is all I recommend.
    Except for April Tryst they all survive, even in -13 deg F two years ago, but the spring bloomers' buds did not survive that. Spring plant only. I winter wrap the young plants in burlap to keep the winter sun off them. The larger plants I spray with wiltpruf. I have them all in east exposure, under a large hickory tree, not the recommended white pine. I think the reason for my success is that all have shaded roots or are on a northward facing slope. I do not recommend winter bloomers.
    Go for early fall bloomers, like Autumn Spirit, Survivor, or Snow Flurry, I have not tried Mason Farm, or go for the toughest April bloomers like April Rose or April Remembered. Good luck in your locale.

Sponsored
Wannemacher Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Customized Award-Winning Interior Design Solutions in Columbus, OH
More Discussions