Return to the Camellia Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Camellia container gardeners

Posted by Beopposed 9 (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 10, 12 at 16:45

I have a question for you. I just bought a camellia today (Taylor's Perfection), and I was wondering if I should repot it now. If I do, will it still bloom? I live in Florida, if that helps.

Pic is of the roots in the pot. Looks pretty pot-bound.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Camellia container gardeners

The overall plant.

o

If that was my plant, I would leave it be for at least another year.
I don't think those top roots are of any concern. The size of the plant compared to the size of the pot is fine.
Just my two cents.
There might be others that disagree.

o

Beopposed9, Are you planing on growing this plant in a pot permanently? If not I would put it in the ground. It is not so much the roots you see exposed above ground but how tangled they are at the bottom of that pot. I agree with cactus as far as pot size plant size. If you are going to grow it in a pot for a long time more than a year, then give it a layer of mulch to cover those roots. If you are going to plant it in the ground then untangle the roots very gently and plant and mulch. Hope this didn't confuse you more.
James in Florida

o

Here is some potting information on the link below from the American Camellia Society.

Here is a link that might be useful: Container Info by the ACS

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Camellia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here