snasxs
16 years ago

{{gwi:511228}}

{{gwi:511233}}

{{gwi:511236}}

Comments (13)

• florence_2007
    16 years ago

What are the names of these varities? They are beautiful. I especially like the first one. You're doing a great job indoors
    Thanks

• snasxs
    Original Author
    16 years ago

It is a Chinese classical cultivar called Shibaxueshi "18 scholars". 18 refers to the number of layers of petals in each flower. These have colors from deep red, pink to white.

• alina_1
    16 years ago

Stunning! Thanks for sharing!
    Any tricks of growing them indoors?

• longriver
    16 years ago

I am surprised to know that you have this Chinese classical cultivar. How long have you kept this plant indoor?
    I have a friend living in SF. I gave him a 5 gal camellia. He manages to grow the camellia indoor next to bright window. The plant has been blooming for 6 years indoor. I thought it was impossible. Now I have to change our mind.

• snasxs
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Yes, it is possible. However, eventually they grow too large as an indoor plants. I am not good at pruning at all.

Also, only the first one is the classical cultivar. The following two are lovely European cultivars.

• luis_pr
    16 years ago

snasxs, I cannot see the pictures. I just get a red 'x' in a square. Did you remove them or are they in a website that is offline sometimes? Luis

• snasxs
    Original Author
    16 years ago

You should see the pictures with no problem. If your internet is slow, right-click on the "red x in square" and choose "show picture". If it still does not work, let me know. I will email you the pictures you want to see.

• luis_pr
    16 years ago

I have a cable connection and double checked on another post. I could see pictures there but continue getting red x's here (even after doing a mouse right-click and selecting 'show picture'). :0(

• snasxs
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Can you see images in this link ? Are there others who cannot see the images?

• littlem_2007
    16 years ago

hello snasxs, how were you nurturing the plants to get to get such wonderful blooms and where did you get the plants from? thanks

sue

• longriver
    16 years ago

Littlem, You might be thinking to learn how to graft. The understock can be an ordinary unwanted camellia plant. Many nice camellias are not available in nursery. If your friend send you a few rare precious camellia scions, you can make graft in spring. In two to three years, you will have a good size plant. Rooted cuttings take too long to grow
    I have made about 60 grafts in June. Some of them start to grow( backgroud of the picture, under polyfilm cover). Here is a large plant grafted in July last year. It has been growing over two feet. The cultivar is a hybrid of C. reticulata ( a camellia species from Yunnan Province, China) called 'Vanlentine's Day'.

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:511225}}

• littlem_2007
    16 years ago

hello, longriver, there is so much to learn and i have so little patience.. in addition to all that i live in southern ontario so the climate is difficult. many years ago, i had 2 camillias which bloomed indoors every year ..they were both only about 2 feet tall. when we moved houses, they both just died. and I have not been able to find replacements.. it is so upsetting. i have found on occasion very large plants which would be too big for my house. so I have been admiring all the posts of all these beautiful blooms. thank you for boing so informative.

• longriver
    16 years ago

Anasxs: Is your area very cold during the winter? Then it makes sense to keep your camellia indoor for flowering. My friend's house at SF is very close to sea. It is too windy to grow camellias. He basically keeps the plants indoor all the time. The flower color should be rose pink in my yard. His identical flower is light pink due to lacking of sunlight or possible fertilizer. But the fragrance of this camellia is still wonderful at indoor condition.

Sponsored
One Source Systems
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars15 Reviews
Top Choice for Reliable Home Automation & Home Media in Loudoun County
More Discussions