Return to the Camellia Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Camellia 'Fruit'

Posted by cagary zone 10 CA (My Page) on
Wed, Jul 4, 07 at 17:07

My 20 years old Camellia bush produced 2 small fruits. I didn't even know they did that. Almost looks like an apple.

I'm in southern California.

Here's a photo:

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Camellia 'Fruit'

cagary, this is a camellia seed pod set by nature( by bug, bee etc). You can wait when the fruit lacks shine and cracking. You will have a few seeds in Sept or Oct. Keep the seeds with moist perlite in a small zip-lock bag in refrigerator . You can germinate it next March with sand and ground peat in a 2- gal pot. You should have new camellias flower in about 5 years, possible resembling the mother camellia plant.

Or you can press the seed to get a few drops of tea flavored oil for cooking or to soften your skin.

I produce the seeds by hand cross-pollination. See the picture, one of my camellia seed setters( a white reti hybrid) with 7 seed pods which are wrapped in black lace to prevent losing of my valuable seeds

Here is a link that might be useful: IMG]http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a182/wangjohn666/DSC02857.jpg[/IMG]

o

I have the same "fruit", I picked them and was hoping they would mature in the house and then I would plant them. But, all that I have read says to leave them on the bush. I have plenty more, so I will leave them...just curious if these in the house will "ripen"...what do you think?

o

cagary, your seed pod looks a bit malformed...perhaps from incomplete pollination of the flower. They are typically more uniformly shaped than that. They really DO look like apples, don't they? I've always thought that.

lindam, the seed pods will not ripen off the plant. Just like most seeds, they need to develop on a living plant for the seeds to mature properly. Wait for the hard shell of the seed pod to break open on its own before removal from the parent plant. At that point, you can be assured that the several seeds within (the number varies widely) are viable.

o

I know this was originally a post from 2 years ago, but it helped me a lot! Here are a few pics of my 'fruits'. I searched and found this thread! Thanks!
Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

o

Wow, I need the telephone number or cell number for your pollinator bees. Mine have never grown fruit. I guess maybe my bees are busy with the apple trees instead. Hee hee hee! Enjoy, Linda.

o

I really wanted to grow this plant and see their bunch of fruits.

o

If I"m not interested in harvesting seeds, should I remove the fruit pods? If so, when?

o

Remove the pods after they are well developed, but before they crack and spill their seeds.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Camellia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here