Return to the Camellia Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Camellia - Sun scald/leaf scorch

Posted by lafu115 7 (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 6, 10 at 17:16

I planted an Autumn Pink Icicle about 6-8 weeks ago. It gets morning shade but full sun in the afternoon. Recently it has exhibited some sun scald/leaf scorch. Will it adjust to its environment or do I have to move it? It has been an exceptionally hot and dry June and early July here.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Camellia - Sun scald/leaf scorch

Full sun in the afternoon may be too harsh as Japonicas are more tender. Can you transplant it elsewhere where it gets morning sun instead? Several hours or until 12-2pm tops? Damaged leaves will not recover but you do not need to remove them (let them fall when the plant wishes for them to do so). Just wondering, where are you located?

o

Thanks. I might be able to move them. I will look for a place. I am in Arlington, VA. The recent heat wave caused more damage to the camellias as well as two azaleas and one rhododendron.

o

Lafu, you have a lot of company in dealing with heat-stressed plants. I recently moved a row of my camellias--planted in a western exposure but shaded by taller trees and shrubs. I have them in an eastern exposure. Make sure your plants are also well-mulched after moving--try to select a "less hot" day to do this if possible. I moved mine on a really hot day because I was so concerned and they still made a good adjustment as I think they were so glad to just get out of the heat. Have noticed similar heat issues with azaleas (planted in full southern exposure--can't move these) and some of the rhododendrons--especially those competing with trees for water. Hopefully the HOT and DRY year we are having is about to turn wetter.

o

Lafu, you have a lot of company in dealing with heat-stressed plants. I recently moved a row of my camellias--planted in a western exposure but shaded by taller trees and shrubs. I have them in an eastern exposure. Make sure your plants are also well-mulched after moving--try to select a "less hot" day to do this if possible. I moved mine on a really hot day because I was so concerned and they still made a good adjustment as I think they were so glad to just get out of the heat. Have noticed similar heat issues with azaleas (planted in full southern exposure--can't move these) and some of the rhododendrons--especially those competing with trees for water. Hopefully the HOT and DRY year we are having is about to turn wetter.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Camellia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here