Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lafu115

Camellia - Sun scald/leaf scorch

lafu115
13 years ago

I planted an Autumn Pink Icicle about 6-8 weeks ago. It gets morning shade but full sun in the afternoon. Recently it has exhibited some sun scald/leaf scorch. Will it adjust to its environment or do I have to move it? It has been an exceptionally hot and dry June and early July here.

Comments (4)

• luis_pr
    13 years ago

Full sun in the afternoon may be too harsh as Japonicas are more tender. Can you transplant it elsewhere where it gets morning sun instead? Several hours or until 12-2pm tops? Damaged leaves will not recover but you do not need to remove them (let them fall when the plant wishes for them to do so). Just wondering, where are you located?

• lafu115
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks. I might be able to move them. I will look for a place. I am in Arlington, VA. The recent heat wave caused more damage to the camellias as well as two azaleas and one rhododendron.

• User
    13 years ago

Lafu, you have a lot of company in dealing with heat-stressed plants. I recently moved a row of my camellias--planted in a western exposure but shaded by taller trees and shrubs. I have them in an eastern exposure. Make sure your plants are also well-mulched after moving--try to select a "less hot" day to do this if possible. I moved mine on a really hot day because I was so concerned and they still made a good adjustment as I think they were so glad to just get out of the heat. Have noticed similar heat issues with azaleas (planted in full southern exposure--can't move these) and some of the rhododendrons--especially those competing with trees for water. Hopefully the HOT and DRY year we are having is about to turn wetter.

• User
    13 years ago

Lafu, you have a lot of company in dealing with heat-stressed plants. I recently moved a row of my camellias--planted in a western exposure but shaded by taller trees and shrubs. I have them in an eastern exposure. Make sure your plants are also well-mulched after moving--try to select a "less hot" day to do this if possible. I moved mine on a really hot day because I was so concerned and they still made a good adjustment as I think they were so glad to just get out of the heat. Have noticed similar heat issues with azaleas (planted in full southern exposure--can't move these) and some of the rhododendrons--especially those competing with trees for water. Hopefully the HOT and DRY year we are having is about to turn wetter.

Sponsored
Remodel Repair Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Westerville
More Discussions