Http://camelias.net/pazos/marinan/pmarineng_1.html

{{gwi:511327}}

Villar d'Allen Palace.

Http://www.camelias.net/pazos/qvallen/qvalleng_1.html

{{gwi:511330}}

http://www.camelias.net/pazos/tagrelo/pageng_1.html

Thanks.

Daniel Dominguez O Kintos.

Here is a link that might be useful: Palaces Gardens Camellias.

Comments (27)

• forrestal
    18 years ago

The photos of camellias on the website link are amazing! Some must be hundreds of years old. Thanks for sharing this with us.

• okintos
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks for visited WWW.camelias.net

Pazo de was built XVII th- XVIII th Centuries over the remains of an old fort.
    It has very beautiful gardens having one of oldert European Camellia reticulate CV.ÂCAPTAIN RAWESÂ.

{{gwi:511334}}

In Pazo de Oca, the Camellia reticulata CV. ÂCAPTAIN RAWESÂ measures 13 meters (43f.?).
    The elderly Camellias of the gardens of the PAZO Country houses (rural Palaces) of Galicia , were planted almost all in the XIXth, but some from two to three meters of perimeter, it is probable that they were planted on the XVIIIth. Century.

In www.camelias.net, we want to teach(show) the fans, galicians elderly Camellias.

In Pazo de Castrelos, The Camellia japonica CV. ÂORANDA KOÂ she is named Matusalem of the camellias by her great glass and powerful trunks.

{{gwi:511337}}

AEC members visted Camellia japonica centenary in Quinta of Rodrigo Leitâo.
    {{gwi:511339}}

Pardon for my evil English.
    Regards.

Here is a link that might be useful: Gardens Camelias RuralPalaces

• okintos
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Hello.
    The Camellia japonica S-16, is one of the monumental Camellias of the Arboretum of the Catle of Soutomaior and of your Camellias's Collection.
    Regards.
    {{gwi:505474}}

Here is a link that might be useful: Forum Camellias AEC

• okintos
    Original Author
    18 years ago

IT IS AN EPOCH OF CAMELLIAS.

Some *Camellia japonica *, they have begun his flowering. They are Camellias that they bloom in Autumn. The photographies are of flowers of very ancient and known Camellias.
    Regards..

{{gwi:511343}}

{{gwi:511345}}

{{gwi:511348}}

{{gwi:511351}}

{{gwi:511354}}

{{gwi:503880}}

Here is a link that might be useful: RuralPalaces Gardens Camellias

• longriver
    18 years ago

Thanks for sharing.

The area must has the best weather condition for growing camellia. How hot it gets in the summer and how cold is it in the winter?

• okintos
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Hello.
    Thank you for your interest and to read my commentaries and to see the photographies.

Galicia is approximately in the same Latitude that New York.

But our community is influenced by the Gulf Stream of Mexico. Our country is orientated to the Atlantic Ocean and supports a moderate temperature the whole year.

In the warmest summers days, it does not happen of them 30ºC (86ºF). In winter, in the coldest days, strange they go down of them 0ºC (32ºF).

I live on the coast. In winter we have of 40ºF (in the coldest days) up to 60ºF.
    In Spring and Autumn, of 50ºF to 70ºF, but with many days equal to the summer.

In summer, of 60ºF to 80ºF.
    The soils are acid. Most of the country has substratum of granite. The rains distribute during the year, but the summers months are slightly dry.
    Regards.
    Daniel Dominguez O Kintos

{{gwi:503324}}

Here is a link that might be useful: Map of Galicia

• okintos
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Tomorrow it departs from Vigo the round-the-world trip of Candle. The Volvo Ocean Race. Almost all the scales, they are in countries of Camellias.

{{gwi:511358}}

I send my regards, from my land of Camellias.

{{gwi:511360}}

Some of the photographies are of places very near to Vigo.

This is Camellia japonica CV.'CITY OF VIGO'

{{gwi:511365}}

Every year are celebrated in different cities of Galicia, the International Exhibition of the Camellia.

This one year 2005 corresponded(fitted) to the city of Vigo, 41 celebrated anniversary.

{{gwi:511368}}

Regards

Here is a link that might be useful: RuralPalace TorresAgrelo Vigo

• okintos
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Hello Camelliófilos.
    This one is a time of Camellias.

In the web page www.camelias.net, we have put a new work that treats on the gardens of the Pazo de Oca.

In these gardens, besides many elderly Camellias there is a Camellia reticulata of big red and semidouble flowers, which is considered to be highest how of Europa.

Since in other works, the text I have written it.

Regards.

Camellia reticulata CV. ÂCAPTAIN RAWESÂ
    {{gwi:511372}}

{{gwi:511375}}

Here is a link that might be useful: Pazo de Oca GARDEN

• birdinthepalm
    17 years ago

A most interesting post, and I had only somewhat recently heard of those famous and "huge" and very old camellias, from a member of another garden forum, who lives in very northern Portugal, near the border with Galicia, and she did talk about those wonderful camellias. I do wish I had the funds to visit there some day. Meanwhile, I'm limited to trying to keep my own collection of one , to a small plant so I may enjoy it for many years before it outgrows my very small house. I still contend, despite many references to them as being only suitable for outdoors, they do adapt and perform well indoors here in very cold Michigan, where the newest and most cold hardy hybrids would most likely not survive a single winter outdoors here.

• okintos
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Hello 'Birdinthepalm'. Thank you for your mail.

I admire the Camellias of Portugal. The North of Portugal and Galicia, they are admirable places to see Camellias.
    The soil and the climate must be very similar to those of his places of origin in Asia.

In the International Camellia Journal, (International Camellia Society), of the year 2005, there are a few interesting articles about the Camellias in Portugal and Galicia.

It is very beautiful, to see in many public Portuguese gardens, old Camelias. For example, Camellia japonica ' Mathotiana rubra ' appears in exemplary elders, with the nice mutation Camellia japonica ' Augusto Leal de Gouveia Pinto '.

{{gwi:511379}}

{{gwi:511383}}

{{gwi:511386}}

On the life of the Camellias in cold places, I understand that it must be difficult.
    But, you will cultivate some of Camellia japonica they are very resistant to the cold. The studies of the Dr. Ackermam, they have given the fans of the Camellias, the Hybrids of Camellia oleifera.

In my experience, the principal problem to cultivate Camellias in the exterior, is the dry air. With dry air and high temperatures, the life of the Camellias is more difficult than with cold temperatures.
    Regards.

Here is a link that might be useful: Pazo de Oca Camellia reticulata

• birdinthepalm
    17 years ago

Thank you for the additional photos of such beautiful varieties, and of course it's not unusual such as two winters ago to have the entire month of January here with high temperatures of minus 10C and lows near minus 15C many nights, and of course besides the very dry air we get then , the severe cold is quite a test. I do know however, some of the newest very cold hardy hybrids as mentioned might be worth trying , perhaps in a very sheltered location near my house for additional warmth perhaps. Meanwhile I do enjoy my rather small ones indoors, though they are very confused about their flowering season, and I got the blooms to open in mid July last year. Hardly the normal blooming time for my late winter , early spring blooming variety!! At any time here however, those blooms were much appreciated!!

• okintos
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Happy New Year 2007.
    {{gwi:511388}}

On the 9th and 10th of December, 2006, there was celebrated the Exhibition of Camellia sasanqua in Boiro (A Corunna),
    They visited us, a group of members of the Friends' Association of the Camellia of The Turón valley, ( Mieres, Asturias).

We visit the House Museum of the Galician poet Rosalía of Castro.
    We saw in flowering, trees of winter Camellia. Camellia japonica ÂALBA PLENAÂ, Camellia japonica ÂLADY HUME'S BLUSHÂ, Camellia japonica ÂMARIA IRENEÂ.
    We had the fortune of seeing the beginning of the flowering of the Camellia X hibride ÂROSALIA DE CASTROÂ. In this one place, the first specimen is of this one variety obtained by Moreira da Silva ( Porto, Portugal) and that gave to the House Museum of the Galician poet Rosalia of Castro.
    {{gwi:511391}}

Merry Christmas ¡¡¡
    Daniel D. F. OKintos
    {{gwi:511394}}

Here is a link that might be useful: Pazo de Oca GARDEN

• yama
    17 years ago

Hi
    It is very intresting. Many of photo of Camellias are used for Japanese flower arrengement for tea ceremony.
    Some of camellias is at least 300 years old. Japan had relationship with potugal before close door to west around 1600' except Holland and china.
    1400's and 1500's Spain missionary came to Japan.
    Aug8 05 posting , "Oranda ko" Oranda is Holland in Japanese, "Ko" can be many possible way of meaning in
    Japanaese.
    Thank you for shareing beautifull photos.
    mike

• okintos
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Happy New Year 2007.
    Thank you for your interesting commentary. Does Mike, believe you that evil can be translated, the name of this one Camellia?.
    My reference, it is that the name, ORANDA KO, wants to say, RED OF HOLLAND. Is possible, that is not the correct translation. It is difficult to translate the Japanese words. Very difficult in our alphabet.
    Pardon for my bad one notarizes in English.
    Regards.
    Daniel D.F. Okintos
    {{gwi:511397}}

Here is a link that might be useful: Camellia reticulata 'Captain Rawes'. Pazo de Oca

• okintos
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Hello.
    This one is a time of Camellias in the hemisphere North. In this one Forum, it is not very usual, to speak on Camellia reticulata. When one sees a photography of Camellia reticulata in the WEB, it appreciates neither his size nor the beauty of the flowers.

{{gwi:511400}}
    I have realized in a garden, a photography in the first days of February. To compare a flower of Camellia reticulate (I think that it is a C. reticulate CV. " BUTTERFLY WINGS ") and a Camellia japonica CV. ÂDONA HERZILLA DE FREITAS MAGALHAÃSÂ (10-11 cm. of diameter, 4 inches of diameter ap.).

{{gwi:511403}}

Pardon for my bad one notarizes in English.
    Regards.
    Daniel D. OKintos.

Here is a link that might be useful: Pazo de Oca

• longriver
    17 years ago

I am impressed with the camellia collection in the palace garden. Like a fairy tale that the 'Queen' commanded to collect all the camellias on the earth. Do you know who was then the owner of this castle?

The reti, 'Captain Rawes' was introduced to England in 1820 and the japonica 'Alba Plena'( or 'Snow Pagoda' named in Chinese) was also introduced to Europe near 1840. Both plants were collected from Guandong, China. Sometimes they just gave the plant a new name.

The beloved opera 'La Traviata' had premiere in 1853. The leading role, Violetta had the white camellia flower in her hand, that was 'Alba Plena'. The commercial trade among the regional countries in Europe were obviously very active.

• okintos
    Original Author
    17 years ago

The owners of the Pazo de Oca are the Dukes of Medinacelli. But they were your neighbors, the Marquesses of Ribadulla's Santa Cruz, which introduced a lot of varieties of Camellias in the gardens of both Palaces. I am writing a work on the Pazo of Ribadulla's Santa Cruz, where there are old women Camelias of 2 meters of perimeter (6 feet). The Camellias " ALBA PLENA" and "VARIEGATA", came from China in 1792, sent by James Main for the brothers Slater. In a few years, other famous Camellias came. Rapidly they spread over Europe, America, Australia and New Zealand.
    In Galicia, (Spain), some writers and poets in Galician language and in Spanish language of the 19th century, speak about the Camellia, as a very common and abundant plant in our gardens, (The most ancient commentary is that of Colmeiro in 1850).
    Pardon, for my evil English.
    Regards.

{{gwi:511406}}
    Javier si ves ésto, acuérdate de los buenos tiempos y haber si charlamos un día.

{{gwi:511409}}

{{gwi:511413}}

Here is a link that might be useful: Pazo de Oca

• okintos
    Original Author
    16 years ago

PAZO DE RUBIÃNS
    Rubians's Country House.
    Vilagarcía of Arousa. Pontevedra. Galicia. Spain.

Dolores Urcola de Zuloaga, Marquise of Aranda and Lady of Rubiáns. Popularly " The Marquise of the Camellias ", has died in Rubiáns's Country House, 105 years after age.

The fans of the Camellias and all the members of the Spanish Camellia Society, feel deeply the loss of one of the most important collectors of Galicia. One of the persons who more helped to the consolidation of the International Exhibition of the Camellias, from his beginning does more than forty three years.

In the Gardens of Rubiáns's Country House, besides the Camellias there live some of the monumental trees more important of Galicia and Spain.

Gardens of Rubiáns's Country House. Visit of the Spanish Camellia Society members.
    {{gwi:511420}}

Here is a link that might be useful: Rubiáns's Country House (Pazo de Rubiáns)

• florence_2007
    16 years ago

I am just now seeing this and it is simply wonderful. Seems as though I have one more place to visit.
    Thank you for sharing.

• okintos
    Original Author
    16 years ago

We wait for you. Galicia is a beautiful, calm country, of soft climate all the year round and with a good tourist infrastructure.

There are exhibitions of Camellias all the weekends of winter and spring principles. The best epoch is at the end of February and beginning of March. It coincides with the Exhibition XLIV International of Camellia ( Vigo City ).

This one year 2007, we receive groups of lovers of the Camellia, of many countries, between them a group of cameliófilos Japanese. The Dr. Sitgeo Matsumoto, president of the Japanese Society of the Camellia. He formed a part of the Juror of the XLIIIrd Expo. International of the Camellias, together with Mikio Akashi, important businessman cultivator of Camellias in Akashi Nursery (Kurume City, Japan).

Regards.

Jurors XLIIIth.,Mikio Akashi, Daniel D.F. O Kintos, Sitgeo Matsumoto.
    {{gwi:511422}}

Jurors XLIII Expo. inernacional Camellias. Pontevedra 2007.
    {{gwi:511425}}

Camelias amarillas en la XLIII Exposición internacional de Pontevedra 2007
    {{gwi:507999}}

Here is a link that might be useful: XLIII International Camellia

• okintos
    Original Author
    16 years ago

It is a time of Camellias.
    Already the autumn has come and many Camellias are blooming. They bloom some of the most known species. And also, some varieties of Camellia japonica as 'Millarenga' and 'Shirobotan'. I have realized some photographies of Camellias in flowering, during the last weekend of October. In the Collection of Camellias of Soutomaior's Castle.
    Regards.
    Daniel D.F. OKintos
    {{gwi:511428}}
    {{gwi:511431}}
    {{gwi:511433}}

Here is a link that might be useful: Collection of Camellias Soutomaior's Castle

• okintos
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hello
    It is a time of Camellias.
    An old lineage of white Camellias, it begins his flowering in November. Between the elderly Camellias of Lourizán's Country house, these live through former varieties. Some of these white Camellias, they will be the whole winter blooming and we will see his flowers still in March. It is the case of the Camellia japonica 'Alba Plena'.
    Regards.
    Daniel Dominguez Fernandez OKintos

{{gwi:511435}}

{{gwi:511437}}

{{gwi:511438}}
    Camellia japonica 'ALBA PLENA'

Here is a link that might be useful: Pazos of Galicia

• okintos
    Original Author
    16 years ago

It is a time of Camellias
    The white camellias of autumnal and winter flowering, have in the Garden of the Island of the A Toxa, a few good specimens. Close to the Church of the Shells, there is a beautiful Camellia japonica ' Lady Hume's Blush '. Also there is a good specimen of Camellia japonica 'Alba Simplex'.
    Regards.
    Dajniel Dominguez Fernandez OKintos

C.japonica ÂAlba simplex A Toxa Island
    {{gwi:511440}}

Camellia japonica 'CAMURÃA' Syn.'LADY HUME'S BLUSH'
    {{gwi:511442}}

{{gwi:511444}}

Here is a link that might be useful: Garden of the A Toxa Island

• okintos
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year.
    Happy 2008.
    Regards.
    Daniel D.F.OKintos
    {{gwi:511446}}

• okintos
    Original Author
    16 years ago

February and March they are months where the great majority of you them will cultivate of Camellia are in flowering. In these months, there coincide flowerings camellias of winter epoch, there are in flowering the Camellias of average epoch and begin to bloom the late Camellias. Between the photographies of the Palace of Geld Them, I show you, the elderly Camellia called 'MATUSALÃM'. This one names it put on it, Mr. Owen, Architect and fond English, in 1960. Camellia planted by Jacintho Mattos remained impressed of the great size of this one, in the year 1860. It is in the Flowerbed of the geometric Garden. In the photography, one sees his glass, in the left part of the Palace.

{{gwi:511448}}
    {{gwi:511451}}

Here is a link that might be useful: 2008 Camellias Shows

• okintos
    Original Author
    15 years ago

In the gardens of the North of Portugal, frontier with Galicia, there are two varieties of Camellia japonica, very popular. They are Mathotiana rubra and Donckelarii. In a recent trip I extracted these photos. I hope that you like.
    Regards.

{{gwi:511453}}
    {{gwi:511455}}
    {{gwi:511458}}

Here is a link that might be useful: Camellia show

• okintos
    Original Author
    15 years ago

We visit today, with a group of friends, the old man Cupressus macrocarpa of the "Torre de Quintans". It had never been there, in spite of the fact that it is near the place where I live. The owner allowed us to enter the estate, in spite of the fact that the medieval fortress is very damaged.

With surprise, I saw in the garden, a group of elderly camellias. The perimeter of the trunk, of the major camellia, it is 2.30 m. (7.5 ft?). Undoubtedly, this one camellia is one of the most important of Galicia. Only one was in elderly flowering C. japonica ' MATHOTIANA ALBA '. There was no good light and the photography did not go out for me well.

'MATHOTIANA ALBA', is one to cultivate very commonly in Galicia. In the exemplary old men of this one to cultivate, almost always there appears the mutation ' MATHOTIANANA ROSEA'. To read something on Camellias in Galicia, you can see the last number of the International Camellia Journal (2007), in an article of Shigeo Matsumoto, president of the Japanese Camellia Society.
    Regards.
    Daniel Dominguez F. oKintos

{{gwi:511461}}

Camellia japonica ÂMATHOTIANA ALBA mutación ÂMATHOTIANA ROSEAÂ
    {{gwi:511465}}

Cupressus macrocarpa in "Torre de Quintans", Meis, Pontevedra
    {{gwi:511466}}

Here is a link that might be useful: International Camellia Journal (ICS) Art. S. Matsumoto

Sponsored
Old Dominion Kitchen Design
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars29 Reviews
Loudoun County's Kitchen & Bath Design Experts | Best of Houzz 3x
More Discussions