Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
organic_wes

Need advice on Camellia sinensis

organic_wes
17 years ago

Hello,

I need help from someone with experience growing a Camellia sinensis. The variety I have is called Blushing Maiden and has a light pink flower. I am in the process of "killing" the second one I have owned. It is in a pot (pot size is approx. 18"x18") and the plant itself is about 18 inches high. It has great soil, great drainage and full sun. The soil has been allowed to dry a bit then rewatered. I moved the pot a few feet yesterday and many of the leaves, including many green and otherwise healthy looking, fell off. Now today more leaves have fallen off although it does look like there is some small fresh growth at the tips. I had one of this same variety and it died when I brought it indoors last winter. I bought another one this spring but it doesn't seem to be thriving. What are the optimum parameters that this plant would grow in (soil ph, water amounts, sunlight, fertilizer, etc)? Are there other varieties of the C. sinensis (I want it for green tea leaves) that would be hardy outdoors in Indiana (border of zone 5 and 6)? Thanks for any help you can give me. -Wes

Comments (8)

• luis_pr
    17 years ago

I do not have sinensis but the information you ask applies to all camelias. The answer to the 1st question is ... there are no camellia varieties that will reliably survive Zone 5 winters if planted in the ground. You either plant them in containers or you have to create a micro-climate to compensate.

As far as camellia requirements: The soil needs to drain well. Soil with an acidic Ph Level is best but mine tolerate alkaline soil that has a lot organic matter. They do not like Full Sun; a few hours of morning sun is best.

I am wondering if your leaf drops may be caused by not enough water and too much sun. You said you were waiting for the soil to dry out a bit before watering. That may be too much dryness so I suggest watering more often and maintaining 2-3" of mulch around the drip line. I also would suggest looking at the roots to see if the plant is pot bound (root bound).

Good luck, Wes.
    Luis

• longriver
    17 years ago

We expect a healthy plant bought from commercial plant nursery(factory) to continue the lush growth by watering, better soil and fertilizer. Actually the plant is under transplant stress. Only slightly disturbing root mass, water patern and sudden sun exposure, hot temperature variation etc will cause that small plant setback at different degree.

Hopefully you set the plant in a desirable environment. Be patient. Eventually the plant will adapt the environment and establish the root. It will grow nicely.

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    17 years ago

Camellias do not adjust well to the typical indoor environment. It is very difficult to give them the humidity, temperatures, and light amounts that they require to thrive. But, as Luis says, you are pretty much stuck with that scenario in your location. Is this plant being kept inside or outside at the present time?

You have control over is the container and the potting medium, however. What is your potting mix like? Your container might actually be a bit large for your small plant, as they will not appreciate stagnant soil/water while containerized.

• jenny_in_se_pa
    17 years ago

I would agree that the container size is probably a bit too big for that size plant. I have a similar size one this year for the first time - 'Rosea', which in additon to the pink blooms, has reddish leaves. Mine is currently in a 10" container with a 1/3rd peat, 2/3rd Promix soil (with some small bark chips mixed in). It's also mulched. I had purchased a white-blooming small-leaf tea for one of my sisters that was about 3ft tall and she has that in a 14" container. Mine gets some morning sun outside and is starting to set flower buds. Hers is in full sun (!!), but had been vigorously growing the last time I checked it (hers was probably older than mine and apparently adapted fine to that).

Since I yearly overwinter a coffee plant (which is 5 years old), I am going to put the tea in the same place as I overwinter the coffee - cool bedroom in winter (~60° F) with humidifiers (humidity 50%+), bright daylight conditions but no direct sun, and less watering during that time.

I think the main problem with these in containers is root rot if the container is too large and the soil does not have perfect drainage and/or the air is too dry around their leaves. Because they are slow growers (and slow root producers - at least when compared to my coffee), they definitely can't be overwatered but also can't be allowed to dry out since they live off of surface roots).

Regarding hardiness, from what I understand, it's only hardy to about Zone 8, and possibly 7 if in a very protected location with a warm microclimate out of the winter winds.

• camelliatea
    17 years ago

Camellia sinensis is the easiest of all camellias go grow. I have grown sucessfully for a number of years in containers. Several points to remember:

1. A well drained potting mix is necessary. If you use one too heavy in peat moss (like most commercial ones) you will either dry out too quickly - or it will hold too much moisture. To combat this, you can incorporate some playsand in your mix to help with drainage. Soil should be moist at all times - not allowed to dry out but is well drained.

2. A light soil is better than a heavy one.

3. An organic fertilizer is better than harsh granulars.

4. Camellia sinensis will thrive in full sun and actually do much better in this light condition than most camellias. The important thing to remember is that the soil dries quickly in full sun - so more water is needed. They will put on more foliage and bloom better with more light.

5. Sinensis likes an acid soil - so use a fertilizer like Hollytone or something similar to increase acidity.

• longriver
    17 years ago

Drink Lipton Tea bag and save lots of your headache. Well, just joking!

When International Camellia Society was touring Dragon Well Tea plantation in China over three years ago, Their tea was one of most famous green tea in China. Many tasted the best tea, look each others and ceiling and were not sure. It costed about $55-60 per 8 oz. The joke was then develped. One could not taste the difference, Lipton Tea bag just mighty fine.

Even you are in cold area, you can manage to have fun to grow a few in containers as hobby. Not an easy task otherwise English folks would grow the tea in England. When my sinensis plants were young, they had dry look as if dehydrated. Even the nursery people in LA mentioned the situation to me. Now the plants are bigger in 5 gal pot. I have been doing nothing special. The plant looks lush and fresh. Which leads me to think; The sinensis might need mass root and maturity to produce nice leaves.

• jenny_in_se_pa
    17 years ago

longriver - interesting observation as I'm seeing the same. I really ripped apart the roots when I first potted it this past spring and I know it has to grow alot of new feeders. I am expecting that if it survives the man-handling, it will get lusher as it matures.

• steve_nj
    17 years ago

Regular C. sinensis is only marginally hardy here(single digits), having dieback here many winters if not wrapped. Mine are in shade and in late day sun. The one with a little sun is 3 to 4' now. C. oleifera is hardy through zone 6 and maybe into 5 with good siting. Check Camellia Forest for hardier varieties.

Sponsored
More Discussions