Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
fairfield8619

Sucess at rooting camellias

fairfield8619
12 years ago

On May15 I stuck about 75 cuttings from an old red camellia that grows on an abondoned lot. Probably very old since there hasn't been a house there in about 40 yrs. Unbeleivably nice shrub about 12 feet tall on a tall dry terrace. Very nice conical shape. Anyway I've been gently tuggin on them and a few reisted and some died. Curious, and needing the space in my propagating box I decided to knock them out and see what I had.

Well- 2 fully rooted very well, 1 partially with two 1/4in roots, 14 well calloused, and 12 not rooted but still looking good. Potted the 3 rooted ones up in reg mix, repotted the calloused ones back up and put the nonrooted together in a pot. I bet if had waited another month most of the calloused would had roots.

I was amazed by the two that rooted- big masses of branching roots. And the callouses on the others were bigger than I would have thought.

Also did some layering this week- lots on old camellias on the vacant lots in the seedier parts of town.

Comments (5)

• florence_2007
    12 years ago

Where are you located? Are any of the camellias identified? Keep up the good work.

• fairfield8619
    Original Author
    12 years ago

None are identified by me for sure. No telling what is out there- they must be tough ones with no water fert or care. I am very interested in the leaf shapes- many different ones- large and small. Probably no care for 40 or 50 yrs. There might be a possibility of something rare and not in commerce anymore.

• zzackey
    12 years ago

I was told the best time to root them is in August. I live in SE Georgia, almost in Florida. I need to try some soon!

• florence_2007
    12 years ago

I've been to a few gardens in your area, Atlantic Beach and Gerbings to attempt to identify older camellias. I would like to help you if you would like. I should be back in that area during the blooming season.
    Yes, it is time to root cuttings. Thanks

• florence_2007
    12 years ago

fairfield, I am looking for old gardens as my interest is in the ones introduced prior to 1900. There are approximately 450 in the nomenclature books and I, and others, have located all but about 150 so I am constantly looking for these. I would like you to get in touch with me if interested in telling me where these are. Thanks

Sponsored
More Discussions