Return to the Camellia Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
growing in south florida...

Posted by radhavall z10fl (My Page) on
Wed, Jul 13, 05 at 22:31

It is hot and humid. The lows are 60 s for a few days on and off dec to feb. Do any camelias grow here? Ilove the shape of these flowers but I don't see them in local nurseries.
PS: What is the variety that is seen on Am. Camellia society page. It is goreous. Thank you all.

Radha.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: growing in south florida...

You may not see them in the nurseries because they hard to keep healthy in that kind of climate....in the nursery environment. JThe heat can take a toll on Camellias and they are too expensive to chance that they might not do well. I expect that they get in their orders in the fall....in full bud and ready to sell throughout their blooming season.

It takes some special planning to grow happy camellias in your climate, but it is very possible. You might want to do a search on Florida Camellia societies.

I'm not positive, but I think the Camellia pictured in the ACS website is Pink Perfection. Hopefully, someone will correct me on that....as well as give you some other good advice.

o

In regard to extreme South Florida, where your winter lows are in the 60's, the problem is not really the hot weather of summer, but the lack of sufficient cold weather in winter. Believe it or not, camellias need a certain amount of cold weather to open their buds. As an example, I saw some nice camellias in Hawaii recently. But unless they were at a sufficiently high altitude (to get some cooler nights) they could only bloom the singles and doubles. A formal double like Pink Perfection (yes, that is a P-P on the ACS website) will not open. I will try to locate an article to send you by email about the temperature variations needed, and some varieties that may do better in your climate. Some of the tenderest species (like the magnificent reticulata) may actually do best! And you are right, camellias are wonderful and certainly worth a try there. I say, go for it! Take some risks.

o

Thank you ForrestAL.

Regards,
Radha.

o

One problem you may run into is soil pH. Camellias grow better in acidic soils. If you have a shallow soil over lilmestone or a fill soil with a lot of limestone rock in it, you should plan to dig a large hole and fill with a good organic soil.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Camellia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here